Rifle Zero Distances; Close Quarters Effects

I'm tracking that there is a difference in these zeroes, but when we're talking about a two inch deviation at 25 yards, that's nothing to worry about. With all of them, you have to account for sight offset from 15 yards and in for low percentage/obscured shots.

I think a more telling video would be showing the differences at ranges at 100 yds and beyond, particularly what a 50 yd zero actually yields at 200 yds, and the 25 yd zero at 300.

We run a 50yd zero at our agency, primarily because we are facility limited to a usable max of about 88 yds. But it also gives us center chest hit from zero-200(roughly) landing within about a 4 inch circle over the course of bullet travel. Usable in LE range engagements.

Grayman

Established
Our agency is also using the 50yd zero but we have access to 100+ Yard ranges.

A scientific test utilizing a ransom rest with some common barrel lengths and duty loads would be extremely beneficial for debate on this matter.... Anyone got a rest because I could round up everything else.

That was my other gripe with that video was doing comparisons of POA/POI using standing offhand positions. I think for valid comparison and discussion you would need to limit the shooter input as much as possible.

Dod505

A lot of the SMU guys use 100, as it was their standard SOP, while others from the same unit use the 50/200 zero. The 50 yard zero works for me as I've been using it for many years so I'm well versed in the holdovers inside 25M and beyond 22oM. Out of all the various methods out there, it seems the most practical, giving a max trajectory from muzzle to 220M of 2.5 inches. Regardless of what is used, know your holdovers.

ROMPER

Amateur
I know this will sound complicated, but also interested in this.....
As far as our guns, all entry/sniper/patrol rifle guns are done this way.
All iron sights are zeroed at 100 yards (7 of the 9 days of our basic rifle course are shot on irons), all magnified optics are zeroed at 100 yards, and red dot sights are zeroed at 50.
Mostly my entry guys are running RDS, and they understand their hold over/under at distances. My snipes and patrol guys understand the mechanical offset enough to know that with the 100 yard zero at 50 yards they will be 1 MOA low, and at 25 yards and in will be a little over 2 MOA low and adjust for this.

R