Review: SKD PIG Full Dexterity Tactical Alpha Glove

voodoo_man

Established
wRoygSi.jpg

Description
According to the product description the SKD PIG (Patrol Incident Gear) Gloves feature "several industry firsts, the Alpha allows unfettered access to all your firearms controls and manipulations, without the overwhelming bulk of unnecessary padding and layers. When it comes to gloves you can shoot with, contrary to most of the other tactical gloves on the market, less IS more… the less you feel your gloves, the better you can shoot with them." You can find the full list of specs on their website, on the tag inside the gloves it says they are made of "40% Synthetic Leather, 45% Nylon, 10% Foam, 5% Rubber, Designed in USA, Made in China." I bought these when they first came out around 2012, first batch of the black they offered (I believe I pre-ordered them) and have carried them around, wearing them during training and classes whenever I needed to do something other than just shoot pistol. Now a days they will cost you $29.99 plus shipping direct from SKD.

Read the Full Review here -> SKD PIG Full Dexterity Tactical Alpha Glove ~ Reviews

Casey

Good review. I've also been using the FDT-A gloves since they were first announced. I was one of the guys who suffered from a torn seam on the original production run. The second generation of gloves have served me well—we wear gloves for just about everything at work (security at a nuke plant), so mine get plenty of use doing everything from package and personnel searches to opening gates to shooting at the range. I've worn holes in the fingers of at least one pair, but it seems like I get at least a year out of a pair before I have to trash them. I typically throw the gloves in the washer/dryer about once every couple of weeks.

As far as sizing, I think it is possible for the gloves to be a little too close-fitting. I started out with size large, and while they fit me well with no excess fabric bunching up, they were so snug that I had an issue with the gloves limiting the range of motion of my thumb (we carry the 92FS in a safety-on configuration, so being able to get my thumb high enough to deactivate the safety is crucial). Switched to an extra large glove, and while they fit a little more loosely than I'd like, I no longer have any issues with range of motion.

I do have one pair of the touch-compatible version, but like you, I am able to operate an iPhone 6 with the non-touch-compatible version without much difficulty.

voodoo_man

Established
Good review. I've also been using the FDT-A gloves since they were first announced. I was one of the guys who suffered from a torn seam on the original production run. The second generation of gloves have served me well—we wear gloves for just about everything at work (security at a nuke plant), so mine get plenty of use doing everything from package and personnel searches to opening gates to shooting at the range. I've worn holes in the fingers of at least one pair, but it seems like I get at least a year out of a pair before I have to trash them. I typically throw the gloves in the washer/dryer about once every couple of weeks.

As far as sizing, I think it is possible for the gloves to be a little too close-fitting. I started out with size large, and while they fit me well with no excess fabric bunching up, they were so snug that I had an issue with the gloves limiting the range of motion of my thumb (we carry the 92FS in a safety-on configuration, so being able to get my thumb high enough to deactivate the safety is crucial). Switched to an extra large glove, and while they fit a little more loosely than I'd like, I no longer have any issues with range of motion.

I do have one pair of the touch-compatible version, but like you, I am able to operate an iPhone 6 with the non-touch-compatible version without much difficulty.

I guess I got one of the off-batches of the original runs that had no material issues. I also found this glove to have more range of motion than other tight fitting gloves, maybe because of the material they use?

Thanks for read the review.