Retirement gift recommendation: 1911

MustangLT

VIP
First off, It's been over 10 years since I owned any 1911, and those weren't expensive ones either. So I'm asking for input. My Brother In Law is retiring this summer after 20ish years LEO. Sister says he wants a 1911 as a retirement gift. Her budget; around $1k. Ya, I know that will knock out all the high end, well done brands. I remember the Springfields used to be recommended as a basic, no frills, functioning platform. Is this still the case?

So, for $1k, what can she get for him, that will work, is still a decent handgun?

Austin Black

Amateur
I second the Rail Gun, I put a Wilson one piece guide rod and some aggressive grips on mine and I love it. I've experienced superb accuracy and unwavering reliably from it so far (1300rds)

KUTF

(Possibly) even more importantly, I would highly recommend getting the gun engraved with his dates of service and department patch/logo/motto. I had this done locally for a SWAT "retirement" gift, and the engraving was more appreciated than the base gun itself, which was a no frills, service grade 1911.

MustangLT

VIP
Thanks for the info, Gents. I'll be posting the responses from FB here also, for future searching if a variation of the question comes up again.

Vito

First off, It's been over 10 years since I owned any 1911, and those weren't expensive ones either. So I'm asking for input. My Brother In Law is retiring this summer after 20ish years LEO. Sister says he wants a 1911 as a retirement gift. Her budget; around $1k. Ya, I know that will knock out all the high end, well done brands. I remember the Springfields used to be recommended as a basic, no frills, functioning platform. Is this still the case?

So, for $1k, what can she get for him, that will work, is still a decent handgun?
Hey Brother I hope this information assists you with your final purchase. I currently carry a Springfield M.C Operator with minor mods to suit me. I also have a Colt Rail Gun. Both of the 1911s are service pistols. I carry the Operator most of the time on duty and SWAT. The Rail Gun gets in the mix on occasions. I have chatted with Larry Vickers via e-mail regarding the Rail Gun, Larry's opinion is that they are solid performers. Also look at Hilton Yams review at MSW, Hilton rates the Colt Rail Gun one of the best duty guns straight out of the box. Both of these pistols are not safe queens and are used strictly for no-nonsense situations. Hope this helps, Vito Out !!