RDS or 1-4x24 for carbine?

Grayman

Established
I really do appreciate all the replies! And I apologize to the OP for the thread jacking....

Andy:
That was one of my primary concerns. I know shit about fu*k when it comes to magnified optics so I appreciate the insight. It sounds like trying to get a realistic eval is going to be extremely difficult without a significant cash outlay... Welp guess I'd better start rubbing the pennies together again.

Reg:
That's the general consensus I've gathered from looking into this option. It seems like everyone that starts venturing down the 1-x? route winds up with a DMR build.... I'd love to throw down the cash to have a DMR upper I can just swap onto my patrol rifle but I neither have the cash nor the willingness to in essence support 2 different platforms in my current role. I've trained with my 11.5" and RDS all the way out to 400yds but I wouldn't say its ideal in that role. I like the idea of variable zoom for the purposes of ID but I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

rob_s

I'm no LEO but...

If your 11.5" allows room for it, I might be inclined to keep a magnifier around on a twist mount or a QD mount. obviously not as fast as having the magnification built-in or on the gun, but neither is the 400 yard threat as imminent. I get that in LE the threat may be to someone other than yourself, but I think I'd be more inclined to head down that route especially if you're pretty happy with what you're already using.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Something I haven't heard floated yet - if you're just trying to get an idea, why not ask around to borrow one.

- Jake

Grayman

Established
Rob:
I had originally intended to compare the RDS to both the variable mag optic as well as the RDS+magnifier options...

Jake:
It's very likely I'll wind up going down that road... I'm currently investigating T&E options for that very reason.

JekPokins

Amateur
I'm late to the party, but I far prefer a 1-4(or more) to a RDS... My issued patrol rifle is cursed to wear an EOTech by policy, but a fixed BUIS provides my some insurance there. But my personal rifles wear Leupold 1-4 VX-R Patrols other than the one Aimpoint PRO I have. The VX-R is daytime bright, and I haven't found that the 1.25/1.5 low end limits my speed. It still works plenty well enough for me in 3-gun/ carbine matches. It also still provides a fully functional reticle should the battery crap out (though the black reticle is not as fast as the illuminated dot).

I happened to have one of the 1-4 equipped rifles (Daniel Defense V7) at a long range/ precision clinic hosted by Frank Proctor one day, and was quite pleased when I managed to ring a 12x24 steel at 680 more than a few times. Yes, it was a near windless day, yes it was match ammo, and no, I didn't hit every time, but I hit a heck of a lot more than I would have with a RDS.

regdudedrtyjob

I really do appreciate all the replies! And I apologize to the OP for the thread jacking....

Andy:
That was one of my primary concerns. I know shit about fu*k when it comes to magnified optics so I appreciate the insight. It sounds like trying to get a realistic eval is going to be extremely difficult without a significant cash outlay... Welp guess I'd better start rubbing the pennies together again.

Reg:
That's the general consensus I've gathered from looking into this option. It seems like everyone that starts venturing down the 1-x? route winds up with a DMR build.... I'd love to throw down the cash to have a DMR upper I can just swap onto my patrol rifle but I neither have the cash nor the willingness to in essence support 2 different platforms in my current role. I've trained with my 11.5" and RDS all the way out to 400yds but I wouldn't say its ideal in that role. I like the idea of variable zoom for the purposes of ID but I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

I think it is, but the amount of money it takes to really get invested (IMO) is beyond my paycheck right now, and even if I did have the money, I can only use what is issued to me for now.

Unobtanium

*sigh*

Try as I might, I have come back to the idea of a 1-6 or 1-4.

Leupold MK6 TMR-D: $1700
Kahles K16: $2200
Nightforce NXS 1-4: $1200

Price is much less a factor than performance and reliability, as I will save up to do it right, whatever "right" is. I'm just torn on all 3 as they each offer something different and unique.

voodoo_man

Established
I would highly recommend figuring out what reticle you want, for what application before you make a purchase. Example being the new Trijicon AccuPower's have various different reticles (I bought a green milsquare reticle version) but it's no RDS, not even a bit. Depending on your mission you may be able to get the best of both worlds, but it won't be cheap.

Check out my review of a USOptics SR8c - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/06/usoptics-sr8c-1-8x-red-dot-optic-in.html - might give you some ideas or conceptions for application.

Unobtanium

I want to have a do-all, basically. I know, that's asking a bit much of one item. Mainly it will be used for running drills and blasting critters, as well as maybe stretching out to 3-600 yards on the square range for fun. I would also like it to be capable of CQB in the sense of home defense, or if Ie ver wanted to do a shoot-house course.

The SM1 reticle in the Kahles, TMR-D in the Leupold, and FC-3G in the NSX are the reticles I would choose.

Unobtanium

Look into the Leupold VX-6 1-6x FireDot MultiGun CM-R2. It's got true-1x magnification, the FireDot illumination is as bright as an Aimpoint, and the optical quality is amazing.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-1-6x24mm-30mm-multigun-cds/
I just went to Leupold's site, and the specs are amazing. The only thing that gives me pause is the weight. It is a bit light for its size. I guess that's good, but it makes me think "fragile" compared to the MK6, Nightforce, and Kahles offerings.

voodoo_man

Established
why not both?

USO SR4c

5mKx9Qd.jpg