Problems with my compensator

I took my Roland Special out to the range today, now that I finally have the compensator for it. I picked up a Lone Wolf and started having issues with it.

4be1a2f5bde3c7b3af0c68a3adce531c.jpg

234b8d16d3a7cbb783cdbb43fbe7ef90.jpg

923e963c3358c4da206c9621f2897292.jpg

It ran smooth for about 10 rounds, then started to jam. Then after that, it would jam after every round.

Any thoughts?

Sent from Funkenwagnel's porch.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
Help me out with that photo. Is the round partially feed from the magazine and then stuck or pinned against the feed ramp? Or, is there a spent cartridge in the chamber? I think I see brass in the chamber infant of a live round?

Help me out with that photo. Is the round partially feed from the magazine and then stuck or pinned against the feed ramp? Or, is there a spent cartridge in the chamber? I think I see brass in the chamber infant of a live round?

Partial feeds. With an occasional double feed.

Mick-boy

VIP
Without seeing it in person - I'd say the comp is messing up the timing on your gun. Delaying when your barrel unlocks from the slide and therefore retarding your slide's operating cycle. I've seen similar behavior with older cans on Glocks.

Without seeing it in person - I'd say the comp is messing up the timing on your gun. Delaying when your barrel unlocks from the slide and therefore retarding your slide's operating cycle. I've seen similar behavior with older cans on Glocks.

Ok, that makes sense with the way it feels too. So different comp? Different spring?

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
I have no time on that comp setup. Mick-Boy is on track for what may be going on. Start to break it down to little things to diagnose. Just do one at a time so you are not chasing all the mechanical cycles of the guns operation.

Remove the comp and see if the problem continues.

Double feeds are normally caused by a faulty magazine. So try another magazine. If you have not done so, mark your magazines to ID any problem children.

The nose of the bullet may be getting caught up on your feed ramp. Swap back to the original barrel and see if it works.

Slide may be out of spec or internals installed improperly. Check internals for any drag. Swap original slide to see if it works with threaded barrel and comp.

Sometimes you gotta be a bit patient to diagnose once you get away from OEM parts.

Let us know what you find out so it can be shared.

I have no time on that comp setup. Mick-Boy is on track for what may be going on. Start to break it down to little things to diagnose. Just do one at a time so you are not chasing all the mechanical cycles of the guns operation.

Remove the comp and see if the problem continues.

Double feeds are normally caused by a faulty magazine. So try another magazine. If you have not done so, mark your magazines to ID any problem children.

The nose of the bullet may be getting caught up on your feed ramp. Swap back to the original barrel and see if it works.

Slide may be out of spec or internals installed improperly. Check internals for any drag. Swap original slide to see if it works with threaded barrel and comp.

Sometimes you gotta be a bit patient to diagnose once you get away from OEM parts.

Let us know what you find out so it can be shared.

Gun works flawlessly without the comp. Both before it was installed and after I removed it.

RowdyYates

2 things, if you want it to be a Roland, and want it to actually run, use quality parts... KKM>LW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RowdyYates

Thanks for all the input, whether it was helpful or not. I'll grab a KKM comp and see how that works.
I'd be willing to bet that's your issue. KKM puts a lot of R&D into their parts and holds a very high QC, based on my experiences with LW, not so much. Another possibility could be recoil spring. Typically, Rolands don't need that changed out but on mine since I have additional cuts to the slide which lighten it quite a bit, I had to drop down to a 15lb and eventually a 13lb on day 2 of a high round count Fisher class to keep it reliable in all conditions. That might be something worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be willing to bet that's your issue. KKM puts a lot of R&D into their parts and holds a very high QC, based on my experiences with LW, not so much. Another possibility could be recoil spring. Typically, Rolands don't need that changed out but on mine since I have additional cuts to the slide which lighten it quite a bit, I had to drop down to a 15lb and eventually a 13lb on day 2 of a high round count Fisher class to keep it reliable in all conditions. That might be something worth considering.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think the KKM will thread on my barrel, so I'll have to just swap out both.

I'm only asking this because of the threads, does anyone have experience or opinions on the Range18 compensator? Or maybe the YHM?

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Winner winner chicken dinner.

If that exact set-up works without the comp, then starts choking when the comp is installed, that's a big indicator that it may be the comp.

This is a common issue with comped pistols, especially when using cheap blaster ammo.

Start by putting the next weight lighter recoil spring, and see if that fixes the issue. If not, go down one more. If that doesn't work, then there's something assed up with that comp, and it should be changed.