Police Academy Firearms Training

Bangout

Amateur
The firearms for our academy is finally mine. I am looking for any advice, tips from any other instructors running an academy or group training. I have to run a 1 day power point presentation and 5 days on the range. I am limited to 800-1000 rounds. Closer to the 800 mark probably. I have have been helping with the academy firearms for the last few years. I have already written a plan with some changes, but looking for any help or advise I can get.

tinman

I also run a firearms program at an academy. I can give you a few ideas. If the students belong to your agency then the training can be a little more tailored. If it is a regional type academy where the students all work for different agaencies then this makes it a little harder because some of those agencies may have policies about how the students are supposed to do certain things etc. 1. don't be afraid to burn the old program!
2. Don't have the week at the range be centered around the qualification course, instead teach them to shoot and run the gun not just pass a qual as many programs do.
3. Make the students do some sort of scan after firing or search and assess, the idea being if the gun came out it came out for a reason so we need not be in a hurry to put it away
4. Vary the round count of the drills so it's not just two shot drills.
5. Have them move, don't make it all stationary shooting.
6. make it fun and don't allow staff to yell at students.

Bangout

Amateur
My first academy class was last September. I assisted with the last 5 or 6 classes prior to this. I basically had the same list of ideas that you wrote after the previous academies did the exact opposite. This classes average score was around 15 points higher then the previous class. I spent zero time teaching the qual and worked on them actually being able to shoot. The past they would fire one shot on command so most had bad habits of shooting once and sucking the gun back in. I definitely had them shoot more than one or two shots throughout most of the class so to not run into that. I appreciate the help and if you thing of anything else let me know.