Picking up the front sight. A question for the gun brain trust.

Freedom Forged

The short question is when do you pick up the front sight on your pistol?

Should I keep my eyes on the target and then transition my eyes to pick up the sight at the very last second near full extension. Or, should I transition away from the target early to the front sight at the point my off hand is meeting my weapon hand while the pistol is at my chest?

I really hope this makes sense.
FF

Longeye

Established
Keep your eyes on target. As you press out, the front sight will get picked up in your peripheral vision and keep resolving until you have a perfect sight picture a full extension. This is a dry practice event worth practicing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Erik N.

+1 to Longeye.

I've put myself on the Stoeger Accelerator Drill a lot and at various ranges; I've also run a few competent competition shooters against it to get their metrics. We've found that for most of us, we need to transition to a firm 'sight picture' at around 7-10 yards. For me it's around the 10-12 mark that I need to really be getting into my sights to help reinforce my trigger pull; inside of that range, my grip and trigger press are clean enough at full tilt that I don't need to center my post in the notch.