PC and Plates for a Civilian Home Defense/SHTF/Training rig

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Was asked what to go with for a Civilian use Home/Property Defense, SHTF, Training, etc rig.

My experience is work based, and that will bias my suggestions. What suggestions/topics do you look for in picking a PC and Plate set. Plate first? PC first?

JDRemf

Amateur
I picked the plates first. Since the purpose of the exercise was protection from rifle caliber rounds, it was more important to identify what served that purpose first. I started off with with a molle compatible carrier, (SKD PIG) and it was nice, but it didn't take long to realize it was a one trick pony. You are either full on overt, or naked. Since then i have switched to a slick carrier, ( Tac Tailor MBAV) with a BFG 4 slot cummerbund. The elastic pockets are well sized for m4 mags, TQ's, or a small radio. If the situation calls for more, i have a Tac Tailor Rudder Rack which integrates very well.

Atlas

Personally I feel like if its for home use. and you don't have to be moving a lot. Get something like the Eagle that everyone was running around with a few years ago. load it up with soft armor and plates.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Atlas, that depends on the home. I'm in a three story townhouse so going up and down stairs a lot is a given. More weight plus stairs equals more fatigue. I've also got a toddler who is much faster carried than running under her own power. Everyone benefits from light weight.

In general, barring a Katrina type breakdown, plates are usually secondary. Yes, I have some nice VS plates in a good carrier, I also have a simple chest rig that stays near my rifles.

K Williams

For home defense use, I personally want as much coverage as possible versus maximum mobility. I also want a carrier I can don without a bunch of Velcro noise or buckles so donning over the head is beneficial. What I've found works best for me is a TAG Havoc carrier with BALCS cut soft armor. I've got front/back plates in it as well. I had TT sew in some webbing on the chest so I can attach the quick clip buckles if I want to add a panel. I can clip a dick pad in to the front as well. I keep it slick.

I have a plate carrier (MF APC) I use for training and rural callouts, and a Velocity Systems OAV (balcs cut molle carrier) I use for most callouts but neither is quick or quiet to get into.

I have had the balcs for a few years now. If I was starting fresh I would just buy the Mayflower LPAC with corresponding Velocity Systems concealment armor and run a BFG ten speed cummerbund to carry a spare mag and a TQ. The LPAC cut armor is more concealable under light clothing than the BALCS, even with plates.