P&S Comped Pistols and ALS Holsters PSA

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Jim Dexter found an issue with his comped duty pistol and his Safariland ALS duty holster.

Placing the pistol into the holster for one handed manipulation with the slide locked to the rear requires the ALS system to be deactivated twice.

The first deactivation unlocks the weapon for draw, the second release is required to allow the comp to pass through the locking mechanism.

Jdexter

Staff member
So after drilling this there is simply no way to release the ALS to let the comp pass the ALS tab. The method to defeat this is to release the slide lock while drawing the pistol from the holster. This will allow the weapon to slide free from the ALS mechanism without having to manipulate the ALS tab the same as any other ALS holster for a weapon without a comp.

Running some quick drills I found this method of using the slide lock while still in the holster to be about .3 seconds on average slower than the traditional method (non comp gun) of releasing the slide lock as the gun is out of the holster and going horizontal again. I used the same gun just with and without comp, same holster set up. Set up was in holster, slide locked back, reload in pouch strong hand only done at 7 yards with A zone hits. Averaged from 5 attempts. All strings were within .05 seconds with multiple exact time repeats.

Take that for what it's worth. This was done with about 20 initial dry fire reps with using the slide lock while still in holster to release followed by live fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajsomp

I just put my comp on (TBRCi) and I can't even draw it from the holster without it getting caught on the comp with the slide (similar to what you are seeing here) whether the slide is forward or not. I tried investigating a bit and I was looking to trim some of the lower inner ridges with a dremmel (not the part that locks to the ejection port) because that seemed to be where the comp was getting caught. Anyone made any modifications already (I didn't have to trim it down because I didn't put my sights behind my red dot) and I don't want to mess up the system and have to order a new one.