NTOA?

10usc311

Noob question:

I'm not national, tactical or an officer. Does their "recommendation" mean anything? I'm seeing some gear from off-brand companies get their seal.

Thanks!

KUTF

Not really - all it means is that a sample of a product was sent to a cop somewhere that is enrolled with NTOA as a tester. That tester than "evaluated" it and filled out the survey report for NTOA. There is no standardized testing process for like-products (ex: boots must be worn for XX hours, in such-and-such terrain/weather/moisture conditions).

I would never base a purchasing decision on a "NTOA Recommended" stamp of approval...

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Yes. I'm going to the conference in SLC this Aug if anyone wants to meet up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Ask away on gear questions in this forum . We have enough end users and industry folk that all bases are covered.

jnc36rcpd

I am a longtime NTOA member and have served as a gear tester (though I haven't received anything in years). KUTF is absolutely correct in his post. Gear is sent out to several testers for evaluation. Evaluators put the equipment through whatever test protocol they wish. The NTOA-approved symbol means that at least one of the evaluators liked their gear. Let's face it, if you got it free, you'll probably like it, especially if you haven't put it to hard use.
The value of the program is to members who can access the Member-Tested Program at www.ntoa.org and, to a lesser extent, those who read the Member-Tested section of the magazine. All of the evaluations are on the website and some are in the magazine. Evaluators generally explain what they did to test their products and how they worked. While this is far from a perfect system, it is probably more truthful than articles in the gun and LE magazines.
NTOA has forwarded me some free gear that was absolutely great and still serves me well. I also received some items that were absolute junk. Oddly enough, the only Surefire that ever failed me was a Member-Testing G2 that was defective out of the box...and which I paid to have shipped back for warranty work which defeated the whole free equipment concept.

KUTF

To add to jnc36rcpd and for the record, I also served as a NTOA gear tester under this program several years back, so my experience with the backend of the process may be a bit dated, although the end results appear to be the same.