necessary spare parts

Turkishroy

The parts and tools thread got me thinking - what spare parts do you consider necessary or part of a minimum spare parts kit? Specifically AR related. Knocking on wood, I've yet to experience a part failure on a long gun as most of my shooting is with handguns.

ScottPM09

I'd say it depends on your skills (ie: knuckle dragger/gun plumber/etc) and whether or not this is an at-home set up or if it is mobile for trips to the range. At a minimum, I have always had any and all spare pieces that are part of the carrier group (bolt, extractor, gas rings, firing pin, etc...). However, now that I have my edumakasion in armorer stuff, I have enough spare parts to build whole rifles.

PM07

Staff member
As you can tell, Scott is new to fixing AR's. I have enough parts for 3 or 4..thousands. :)
On a serious note, AR wise he hit the high points. I would add Trigger/Hammer pins, springs and a Action spring.

jvencius

I keep a complete BCG in my range bag to minimize time spent fiddling around replacing small parts at the range--swap out the BCG and save the tedious work for when I'm home...

ScottPM09

Jvencious has a point on carrying a complete bcg. Have a problem, swap the whole thing out. No tools required.

CrazyDoc

Amateur
Would you guys say that most issues could be fixed by swapping the BCG? That seems to be the simplest thing in my mind. That said I'm an amateur at fixing AR's. I have a whole spare LPK but not a spare BCG.

ScottPM09

I don't have any stats to back this up, but from personal experience, one of the most common sources of malfunctions comes from extractor issues (besides magazines, ammo, and lube). During a class, replacing an extractor may not be quickly done during a break or during firing strings and will require some form of punch to remove the pin. When you have a complete BCG, you could swap them out while you are walking back up to the firing line and not miss out on vital training.