Myth or Misunderstanding?

jnc36rcpd

I learned the concept, probably from "Street Survival". I sort of practiced it, but it always seemed to keep a hand away from the holstered pistol (for right-handers) at just the moment you might need your right hand for presenting the pistol or OC or using a striking technique. I have likewise never heard of some master detective tracking down a cop killer from fingerprints on the trunk or taillight.

I think this training module needs to go the way of the recommendation to keep plenty of dimes in the pocket to call dispatch.

Seth Thompson

All right, here's another sacred patrol cow to cuss/discuss and maybe slaughter- How come some cops don't ever wear seat-belts, though more are killed in traffic accidents than in shootings?

jnc36rcpd

Inconvenience or because we can or of the risk we won't be able to bail out of a cruiser in an ambush or to immediately pursue or otherwise engage a suspect. The "reasoning" is nonsense, but it still persists despite efforts to discourage it.

The Maryland Police Training Commission conducted a study on the time it wook to bail out of a cruiser with or without a seatbelt. The dreaded fastened seatbelt took much less than a second to unfasten in the moment of truth.

Whil Calibre Press has a variety of horrifying videos and photos on hand, probably the worst I've seen was a prisoner transport van involved in a low speed collision with a fixed object. Prisoners were fine and minimal, if any, l damage to the vehicle, but the deputy wasn't wearing a seatbelt and became a name on the wall the next year.

Seth Thompson

Inconvenience or because we can or of the risk we won't be able to bail out of a cruiser in an ambush or to immediately pursue or otherwise engage a suspect. The "reasoning" is nonsense, but it still persists despite efforts to discourage it.

The "can't be trapped in the car" reason was the one I was exposed to in the mid-90's, as a new guy. Patrolling around at low speeds in a small town, the conventional cop wisdom was to keep your belt off. Of course, a lot of those dudes didn't wear vests, either.

After seeing traffic crash injuries firsthand, both low- and high-speed, I decided there was a bigger chance of getting hurt in a crash than getting caught in an ambush. I got in the habit of flicking the belt off when rolling up on calls or stops and never felt "trapped".

To this day, even as a retired-from-patrol guy, the habit of snapping the belt off while rolling to a stop persists...often to the amusement of my passengers. ;)