Modern Carbine for GPF cont. from FB

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
I posted the following late last night on the FB page:

"Using current off the shelf parts, coatings, materials, etc what should the next GPF carbine look like and why? extreme example, if you say it should have a 6" barrel you need to justify why the average 11B or 0311 needs a gun with that barrel. ETA: Must use 5.56 since I don't think the discussion should be clouded by the need for changing calibers which is doubtful to happen."

A good conversation was started and I will see what can be done about bringing that over to the forum for knowledge retention but my basic thought was to look at modern tech and knowledge and foster a debate of what could be fielded today that would best suit GPF while drawing from both the last 10-15 years of war and understanding that we don't know where our next war will be and at least for the first 4-6 years DOD will likely be convinced that 'we got this' with currently fielded hardware.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Posts from FB:

What part of the battle space should the infantry platoon own?
What part of the battle space should the rifle squad own?
What part of the battle space should the weapons squad own?

How should the individual rifleman be trained and equipped in order to support and complete these objectives, within the various threat areas:

Urban combat
Open ground combat

Should we differentiate between different type of units, as they might have different requirements?

-Recon elements
-Light Infantry
-Airborne infantry
-Mechanized Infantry

The M6IC was the perfect candidate. Too bad Army is run by Ryan Seacrest.

It consists of three rifle squads and one weapons squad.

The rifle squad consists of the following:

Fireteam Alpha:
-Squad Leader with HK416
-LMG Gunner with Minimi
-Marksman with HK416 and magnified optic
-40mm Gunner with HK416 and AG-HK416

Fireteam Bravo:
-Team leader with HK416
-LMG Gunner with Minimi
-Marksman with HK416 and magnified optic
-40mm Gunner with HK416 and AG-HK416

Optic for Minimi is Specter DR 1-4, optic for HK416 is Aimpoint Comp M4, or Specter DR 1-4 for marksman.

Squad has 4 M72 LAW F1.

Weapons squad:
-Squad Leader with HK416
-Team leader with HK416

-FN-MAG Machine Gunner x2
-FN-MAG Assistant Gunner x2

FN-MAG is equipped with Specter DR 1,5-6

The Machine Gunner is also an assistant for either the 84mm Carl Gustav or FGM-148 Javelin.

The Assistant Gunner is the gunner for either the 84mm Carl Gustav or FGM-148 Javelin.

This basic platoon can also be supported by vehicles if mechanized, then you will have 4 CV9030N with Bushmaster MkII 30mm cannons in the mix.

On top of this you will have CS assets like mortars and artillery.

In a conventional fight, the Platoon commander will task organize his platoon in the way that best fits the mission he has been given. This can be support by fire element, breaching element, clearing element, follow up/reserve.

As part of his maneuver plan, he will implement whatever available CS assets he has been assigned for his part of the mission, to facilitate his course of action.

He will also strive to use integral heavy weapons to reduce enemy positions, so that riflemen can do clean up if neccessary.

I say neccessary, because ideally you should eliminate targets from distance if you can. I know that mantra of the infantry is to close with and destroy the enemy - doesn't mean you shouldn't utilize stand off if you can.

A platoon should ideally not engage a force larger than squad sized, for a deliberate attack.

When looking at it with this in mind, I don't really think that changes to the individual carbine will change the dynamic that much.

I would argue that the biggest things to look at are optics for locating and ID'ing threats, signature reduction to increase unit concealment and targeting equipment for fighting in the dark; IR laser, night sights, NVG's etc.

Chad MercerTore, no offense but your forces have a basline carbine that has only been in use with our SMUs, until the USMC fielded the M27 varient. Probably 90% of the 416s OEM features are the COTS improvements that the OP is asking about. Of course you dont see a need. The one thing the M27 is lacking is the M6IARs trigger group.

The M27 (IAR) is the proof in the pudding and can fill four roles in the fireteam, including the DMR. Fears of it replacing the SAW never manifested. It has proven to be a threat to the M16A4, M4, SAMR...

Big Army needs a come to Jesus about the M855A1 before dumping money into rifles that cant handle near-proofload pressures.

Just trying to put it into perspective from a doctrinal/tactics standpoint, in that the individual carbine/rifle isn't neccessarily the biggest killer, and that it won't make that big of a difference. Maybe.
Chad MercerI am tracking. I have had this discussion ad nauseum with the "software over hardware" crowd, which I am a member of. The realization that I made is that even baseline or par shooters who aren't savants or born gunfighters have a very low ceiling. A former coworker broke it down well for me by making a graphic in a word document, that I wish I saved. He had a formula that factored the nominal accuracy deviation for the shooter, rifle set up, and ammunition. Totaled together you get perceived accuracy or capabilities.

The end result is quantifiable that a shooter has a certain confidence level that is based off of experience. Squeezing the most accuracy out of a platform without sacrificing reliability, there is a noticeable difference in the appreciable effectiveness between a rack grade/bulk ammo option and an optimized rifle/ammunition combo.

If a shooter on his worst day can hold a 3" group with a 1moa rifle shooting match ammunition. That is a realistic baseline. What kind of accuracy can you expect out of that shooter when he is employing a 4moa carbine with a 4moa dot, firing 4-9moa ammunition? That stuff compounds. By minimizing the variables, the shooter is able to see how ugly their naked form is, and how ugly it isn't. I by no means am saying hardware fixes software. I am saying that the right hardware enables the end user to optimize how well their software processes.

SgtMaj. David Devaney (whom I need to add here) told us about a test/demo they did at 29palms. They set up an UnkDist target array out to several hundred yards. They gave the grunts the course of fire (load the gun, make it work, engage the targets until they go down).

They ran it with SAWs and M27s. They tallied rounds fired, hits, and time. The M27s scored more hits with fewer shots, in a faster time. This was with no familiarization on the m27. True Suppression is Hits on target. But I digress.
David DevaneyChad Mercer is exactly right. The M27 gunners eliminated the targets without even firing automatic at all. When they were told to keep suppression going they stated "why we have already killed all the targets." The M27 is one of the best infantry weapons ever made; so far.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Jay RappThe problem with this arguement, as stated previously in some degree is that the general thought is "Suppression equals volume of fire". While that may be true from a purely emotional aspect, I would continually argue that true suppression comes from accuracy and control. I will never give up the notion that a man is more likely to seek cover when rounds are hitting 1-2 inches away, rather than 3 to 5 feet.

Then again, conventional forces have never been to great at the marksmanship piece of armed conflict in my opinion.

All of this though, is being discussed with the "Squad of the Future" concept and Force 2025 studies and discussions that are still ongoing at the MCoE. At least on the Army side of the house.
Chad Mercer...then factor the nature of today's threat. They are either there to die, have been shot at and missed their entire life, and/or they are doped up with extra jihad juice. Limited exposure targets are limited. If you get one look at the enemy, would you rather drive him to cover in an extended exchange of fires? I know the discussion has drifted to capabilities and uses, but the salient theme here is lethality.

COTS or PIP upgrades to the MTOE weapons need to increase lethality without detriment to the system. (i.e. m855A1 is hot as fuck and has crazy terminal effects... but it kills weapons rapidly)
Tore HaugliJay and Chad, there is no argument from me regarding how to suppress an enemy. Merely making noise is not as effective as getting accurate hits, or making sure that any round that does not find its target at least misses by a narrow margin.

We saw this to be true in Afghanistan, against a battle hardened enemy. Ammo with explosive effects, like .50 cal Multi-Purpose or 40mm HE, were alot more effective, even if they missed by a few feet, than SAF that missed by a few feet.

And as you said, volume does not mean suppression. One comment I hear a lot, regarding LMGs and GPMG is that they have a good suppressive effect. I have always countered with the argument that a machinegun excels at the sustained fire role, ie being able to put rounds down range over a longer period of time.

Managing the teams or squads rates of fire is paramount with regards to ammunition conservation. That is why, for us, a platoon commander issues as part of his fire command, the effect he desires - covering or supressive fire, and the squad leader should direct his men and weapon to shoot at targets and suspected enemy positions at a rate that achieves this objective within his sector. If you go winchester before you have assaulted through the objective, you did something wrong.

And because of that, I do not think it is realistic to expect a certain shots fired to hits ratio, as not all shots fired will be aimed fire at a visible target.

You will sometimes have to use fires to deny the enemy movement through certain areas, and terrain in order to shape him for the breaching/assaulting element.

And Chad, I do agree with what you are saying in regards to how a better overall system (weapon, optics, ammo, shooter) will produce better results down range. Hopefully.
Mike GriffinGreat points and discussion. My thought with asking this question is what would the carbine look like that would take advantage of modern technology to improve accuracy, reliability, and longevity while taking into account that we do not know for certain where our next fight will be so we need to find a balance of ballistics and maneuverability (barrel length).

Free float rails improves repeatable accuracy, adjusting barrel designs/construction techniques potentially improve longevity or at least the life of an accurate barrel, coatings potentially increase the ease of cleaning and maintenance while still using lubricants, integration of sling points to make it easier to carry, improved standard issue furniture, muzzle devices that aid in signature reduction, recoil management/accuracy and choosing a model that allows potential addition of a suppressor, etc.

All of these things are currently available in the commercial market and are fielded to many SOF units in one variant or another. I would like to look at this with the eye towards what is the optimum current tech for each component or subgroup that could be combined that make the standard issue carbine last longer during train up/deployment and be a more accurrate/precise carbine for the average joe to replace the 14.5" colt with drop in KAC RAS, Safe - S/A - 3rd burst, etc.

I think what the M27 showed was that a better base gun allows even a mediocre rifleman to perform somewhat better but it also allows a good/great rifleman to perform substantially better.

Without a crystal ball it is hard to know what our next fight will be but it seems like with the exception of barrel length there is a lot of current tech that could be leveraged to build a better base carbine. Maybe I am off base though.
Mike GriffinI would love to see some science and art level debate about a number of items, including FSP, FH vs comps, rail and barrel lengths, etc that would take into account current tech and realities of grunt life (little parts get lost, non-gun guys carrying guns for 13 month deployments, potentially shitty logistics, the reality that grunts might get some of the stuff SOF has but not all and some things are not appropriate if they are not issued as a system, etc).

All M4's would get CHF bbls that are nitrided... I'd love to see PROOF be able to incorporate CHF process to their barrels. *hit return and posted early*

All trigger packs would be Geissele SSF's or ALGish

Rails, sheeit... Geissele's

LWRC ambi CH's
LWRC Improved DI BCGs

I do know that the Corps has been looking at a system wide integration of suppressors, who knows if that is still a go.

The M16's would be replaced by 16" free floated uppers, CHF barrels, Mid-length gas. Or the 20" musketts could get an A5 buttstock.
Mike GriffinWould you issue Geissele rails (or any non-quad rail) to line guys? I say this from the perspective of a picatinny quad rail minimizes small parts (mlok or keymod nuts and bolts). Is this a big deal or just something that needs to be stocked heavier with the armorer.

We hand them ATPIALs, machine guns, ect... Not worried about rails. Not every add on is needed. I would like to see thru holes in the appropriate mating parts so armorers could safety wire equipment as needed.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Barrels: In regards to this discussion what is the optimum barrel length? How did we get to 14.5" and does that length mean anything today? Given the goals of reliability, longevity, repeatable accuracy/precision, and terminal ballistics what is the optimum barrel length? Is there a standard to help guide this?

My opinion is that somewhere between 12.5" and 16" is optimum and I lean towards 12.5" to 14.5". 12.5" lends it self to be pretty handy, have reasonable velocity, still a manageable length after being suppressed, affords enough rail (10-12" rail without a FSP) to light, laser, sling point, switches, BUIS, and get a decent grip for the majority of people. Downsides is less velocity than a 14.5" or 16" or equal velocity through hotter ammo at a cost of longevity. It was mentioned earlier that USMC may be looking at suppressors across the board, what are the implications there and how does that factor in to choosing between 12.5" and 14.5"?

Barrel construction: Given the goals what is the best construction method? Cold Hammer Forged seems to be the industry standard these days, is there a better way? What other details are necessary to ensure the barrel is optimized with the goals in mind?

Barrel profile: Weight has to be a consideration but so does heat management. Is there a better profile that balances rigidity (whether or not there is a need to support a suppressor) with heat management while being conscious of weight? Fluting?

Is chrome lining still the best internal surface treatment? Is a better external surface treatment needed or is parkerizing sufficient?

What other factors haven't been mentioned?

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Great discussion-

I'd also point towards a thicker contour, such as the SOPMOD II medium as a recommended barrel profile. Modicum of increased weight as a trade off for better accuracy, less zero shift with suppressor's, and repeatability under sustained use.

I'm not up to snuff on the coatings, I would actually love to hear more about which would be best for the grunt world. I understand the basic attributes and benefits, such as increased lubricity and/or hardness but beyond that I'm a philistine.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Gas system and length? In regards to to the outlined goals should the gun be direct gas or piston and what distance chamber to port? Admittedly I am a gas gun fan because it is what I am familiar with but HK gets good reviews by end users. If we look at anything less than 14.5" should it be carbine length gas system? If there is the potential for lots of use with suppressors should the gas block be be adjustable? Is there any point in a gas block that has the level of adjustment that some FALs had or is 'suppressed', 'not suppressed', and 'off' sufficient or should off be omitted and why?

Titanium gas blocks are showing up regularly these days, any reason not to use it for this application?

Grayman

Established
Non-.mil and noob LEO here (just a disclaimer):

I think simple is always going to be a winner when it comes to standard issue general purpose gear. My vote is as follows:
-Direct impingement
-12.5" CHF chrome lined barrel SOCOM or SOCOM II profile
-Geissele SMR MK4 rail
-Vltor A5

No fancy coatings no switchable gas block just simple utilitarian function in a cost effective and tough as nails package.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
A couple points:

-To me the barrel length question is a huge one and relies on knowing whether or not it will be suppressed the majority of the time. A 12.5" barrel is pretty attractive from a usability standpoint while balancing mechanics of the DGI system, dwell time, etc but there is validity to the ballistics debate using standard m855 out of that length barrel and m855a1 is no solution, in my opinion. 12.5" is only a real solution if suppressors become widespread in my opinion. Even then there has to be some endpoint established that the suppressor gets us to: is it reduced signature, hearing safe, etc? Depending the endpoint there may be a better solution than a 12.5" barrel with a SureFire SOCOM full size can on it like a SOCOM Mini on a 14.5" or 13.whatever barrel.

-IF the platform will be suppressed a lot I think there is some value in considering an adjustable gas block to reduce overgassing the guns and prematurely wearing them out. One of the goals with this discussion is to find a gun that increases or at least considers it.

-Cost effective is definitely a concern BUT keep in mind that DOD would likely never issue a new platform to the entirety of the armed forces in a single fiscal year, combining that with the scale of production driving costs down it would be possible to issue a significantly improved gun to a large percentage of DOD personnel for less than a couple F35s.

jim hodge

Hi gents.....
Been doing 12.5's for a while with great results, though for a GP carbine, I still stay with 14.5.

How can I kick in here with out sounding like an ad... I get to play King for the day, so:

14.5 Mid gas, CHF, CL, FN MG Steel, 1/7 or 1/8, Pinned Micro GB, my profile. 7000 or better series receivers and handgard with Ti barrel nut. Ext modular HG, ladaladalada......
Sprung with mil spec carbine spring, and H buffer. Once I drop 855A1 and suppress it, then running to an H2 buffer.
Impact extruded rec ext, QPQ'd mil spec BCG, though I am playing with A100 extractors. Fire control TBD, but for now Geissele SSF. Badger Gen 3 ambi CH, and dumping all that is investment cast....

All coming in at 6.25lbs

But wait,I built an institutional gun just for the topic you are talking about, My Mod 2. Other than the 16" barrel and the brake, this is my offering to those govies who are asking for it.
image.jpg

adam_s

Hi gents.....
Been doing 12.5's for a while with great results, though for a GP carbine, I still stay with 14.5.

How can I kick in here with out sounding like an ad... I get to play King for the day, so:

14.5 Mid gas, CHF, CL, FN MG Steel, 1/7 or 1/8, Pinned Micro GB, my profile. 7000 or better series receivers and handgard with Ti barrel nut. Ext modular HG, ladaladalada......
Sprung with mil spec carbine spring, and H buffer. Once I drop 855A1 and suppress it, then running to an H2 buffer.
Impact extruded rec ext, QPQ'd mil spec BCG, though I am playing with A100 extractors. Fire control TBD, but for now Geissele SSF. Badger Gen 3 ambi CH, and dumping all that is investment cast....

All coming in at 6.25lbs

Jim Hodge-Thanks for weighing in!
If I may ask-where does QPQ/Melonite play in terms of a barrel coating? I see your rifle still runs chrome, with the CHF barrel. Not knowing enough about coatings and the science behind them, all I can say honestly is that I've seen some folks moving over to QPQ, and reporting great life and whatnot out of them.

Speaking in pure hypotheticals-if CHF is good, and QPQ/Melonite is good, would a CHF QPQ barrel be the shit?

jim hodge

Also...depending on the CL, QPQ will NOT have the same durability as CL. My new CHF barrels will have flake chrome lining, as well as a more robust steel in comparison to 4140 or 4150.

adam_s

Also...depending on the CL, QPQ will NOT have the same durability as CL. My new CHF barrels will have flake chrome lining, as well as a more robust steel in comparison to 4140 or 4150.

Gotcha! I'd read elsewheres (can't remember where unfortunately), that CL and QPQ were similar in durability. Thanks for the education.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Adam, not sure if you saw it on LF but someone mentioned that QPQ was easier to apply and offered similar or better durability to chrome lining. When it comes to this type of stuff, particularly for program sales, etc I like to see hard data BUT companies don't like to lay that out generally for two reasons. It is expensive to do and easy to pick apart AND if you make it public then another company can use the info without paying for it.

Coming from a medical background I am accustomed to open source study results, firearms stuff isn't always as easy to run down depending on who does the research.

Jim, you mentioned "my profile" in regards to barrel profile. Can you elaborate on what it is and how you came to it? I used to be all about lightweight profiles until I started considering suppressors and how to support them on the end of a lever. One day I will put in the effort to evaluate rigidity and heat dissipation in fluted vs. non-fluted barrels of an equivalent mass but I gotta figure out a good way to structure the test.

adam_s

Adam, not sure if you saw it on LF but someone mentioned that QPQ was easier to apply and offered similar or better durability to chrome lining. When it comes to this type of stuff, particularly for program sales, etc I like to see hard data BUT companies don't like to lay that out generally for two reasons. It is expensive to do and easy to pick apart AND if you make it public then another company can use the info without paying for it.

Coming from a medical background I am accustomed to open source study results, firearms stuff isn't always as easy to run down depending on who does the research.

Jim, you mentioned "my profile" in regards to barrel profile. Can you elaborate on what it is and how you came to it? I used to be all about lightweight profiles until I started considering suppressors and how to support them on the end of a lever. One day I will put in the effort to evaluate rigidity and heat dissipation in fluted vs. non-fluted barrels of an equivalent mass but I gotta figure out a good way to structure the test.

Mike-I think that's probably where I saw it. I'm like you in that I'm from a medical background, and am used to more openly available data.

jim hodge

Mike....my profile is being produced as we speak threw FN. The barrels I am using now are DD's 4150 CHF CL mid gas 1/7. The new profile will be on our Mod-2's via FN. The profile I chose is not to dissimilar to the gov weight like on the DD, though I did shift some mass from between the muzzle and gas port, to the mid section between the chamber and gas block. I did this to retain the same weight, but to add more surface area behind the gas block. Imagine a streight taper, but the mid area between the gas block and chamber is a little more relieved. Basically I just shifted a few thou from the front and sent it rearward. Benefits are: more surface area where it's needed, and ballanced feel while keeping the same gov profile weight in a mid gas barrel.

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
Jim, thanks for the info. Seems like a good approach. I never really understood where the design for the lighter profile under the handguards vs in front of the gas block. Seems counter to what would be wanted but who knows what the design goals and considerations were.

R. Moran

Staff member
This something I've been pondering for awhile, if only academically.
FWIW, The Army never wanted the A2 govt profile, but got stuck with it. The heavy profile forward of the barrel was because barrels were getting bent during bayonet training, & some say the USMC rifle team wanted some more weight out front. The Army argued that more weight toward the rear makes for a stiffer barrel that is more resistant to outside input like a sling or bipod. They have studies showing sever shift's in POI at 300mtrs, like 4 feet IIRC.
I think 14.5" just came about as a combination of a legacy gas length from the XM177's and what would mount a bayonet.
They also were looking for a lot of other things that we want or got with the M4, or similar. Including a non removable handguard that would help stiffen the barrel. Arguing a Soldier could go a whole war w/o removing the handguards.

I've been contemplating switching barrels to something similar to what Mr. Hodge describes, for the same reasons.

I personally would prefer a "quad" type rail, and will likely switch my low profile types back. For general issue, I see it as more shit to loose, little shit. It's a los a lot simpler for a Joe that's just been issued a rifle to just unscrew or flip a lever and move his shit to where ever he wants it.

I am interested to hear what everyone has to say on this based on their experiences.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I can see the application and idiot proofing of a quad rail... obvious it doesn't take all the user induced problems out of the equation (guys forgetting to tighten shit down regularly) but it avoids loosing all the pieces. Not to mention your inducing another point of failure with regard to

How many times are kits issued and by the end of a deployment work up most is lost?

For this crowd, who pays attention to such things it wouldn't be an issue. For the average grunt its removing one more failure point.

That being said, the DD rail is a boat anchor.