Lifting with a hand injury?

shoobe01

Established
Specifically, this one:
ERpcD9zWoAwU5Fs

Dominant hant. Yeah, a cat bite, don't want to talk about it. Deep enough that the doc said she would have stitched if not an animal bite (want to make sure it flushes out... I also have two weeks of Amoxycillin!). This is in the clinic, while waiting for them to flush it, etc. It's held together with steri-strips now.

For orthopedic injuries, I go to PT, ask a lot what to do, and always preach Go Slow... but for this?

In your experience, will it go okay if I bandage carefully, glove up, and pay attention to how it feels for each exercise, or do I need to go light or just go home until it's pretty well healed up? Or... something else like try to have the wife show me how her wrist straps work?

chasnojm

Established
Use this time to work on your stamina. Go run. I'm sure if you wear gloves you might be ok, but why prolong recovery? I assume you'll be trying to grip a barbell or something. Kinda silly to re-open it.

shoobe01

Established
Okay... I try to abide by never-skip-gym-day so just needed people to say "are you stupid"?

Yeah, a few machine grips, but mostly cable machine and dumbells.

I'll ruck and bike for a week or three then. Dog will be happy to get out more. Used to run constantly but keep (nearly) stress fracturing myself so have been pretty light on it now much to my disappointment :(

jBravo3

I feel ya man. About ten years ago I broke my right hand fighting with a guy at the conclusion of a vehicle pursuit+crash+foot pursuit and was out for few months, then broke my other hand the year after at SWAT school. Just do what you can and don't get out of the routine. Legs and cardio, etc. I'm healing up right now from a broken rib I got during my last match in a BJJ tournament last month. Sucks, but do the best you can with what you've got, keep moving forward, etc.

jBravo3

Just wanted to add, because of due respect - we should never forget all the guys out there - many of whom are on here - who have sacrificed eyes, legs, arms, etc - and they keep moving forward. Remembering them always helps me put things in perspective when I'm dealing with my own relatively small physical inconveniences.