Is that holster secure?

When armed professionals are working in the field and carrying a handgun openly they generally use holsters that have multiple layers of retention. When they are working inside they very often "gear down" because the risk profile is assumed to be lower. But whenever and where ever there is public contact involved, in the office or in the field, the risk profile goes up. The possibility of a gun grab attempt always exists when in public contact. Proper gear and staying current on training for gun grabs and weapon retention are a must.

The recent experience of an LA Sheriff's deputy reported in the video below is a sobering reminder that anything can happen, at any time. The deputy was using an apparently minimalist holster for working the front desk at the substation. The young lady relieved him of his gun with a simple hand swipe, and now the deputy has a memory that will likely haunt him for the rest of his life.

Boltgun

so much fail here. Agency policy allowing concealment holsters (which rely of concealment for HG retention) to be worn while in uniform - without concealment (includes Chief, Command Structure, Health and Safety Committees and Clothing and Equipment committees or their respective versions), a supervisor who allowed it, an officer who thought it would be ok (likely wearing it due to health and safety complaint - sore back or whatever) because he would "step up" when the SHTF. Very tragic she felt the need to kill herself instead of getting help. Where was her family in the whole equation. armchairs are comfy, but to quote Gordon Graham, if it's predictable, it's preventable. This was highly predictable. We had a similar circumstance in South Ontario Canada, except it was an accused in the cells and the officer was a plainclothes officer wear a similar holster without concealment when he went in to interview accused.

To many guys "don't get it" or are lulled into false sense of security that they station is a fortress and safe haven. It's ALWAYS ON. Now this happened in the USA. so I do not know the level of medical care she would have received, but then there could be an issue with docs failing to provide the needed help also.

Thanks for posting this.

Kwachen

Really appreciate you posting.
I feel for the Deputy and wish him healing from this awful incident.

I wholeheartedly agree that there's a line of management who should bear some responsibility for this tragic outcome. I'd also submit that it's SO EASY for people to become complacent, especially when it's "just a family" or "Just an EDP."

Far better men than I have said that we vote for the police force we deserve, and I believe it's Darryl Bolke that pairs that with a question- what are you doing to help the department get more training dollars?
If current or retired LE could chime in with good places to start pushing for additional gear/training resources for local departments, that would be pretty great... because I think part of this is on the community, as well. This can be a sad story that results in positive action.

I've written my city council, and am working on building relationships with and volunteering for my local PD- but if there's a hack, cheat, or other fast track, that would be awesome.