Input on PDW stocks

Joe R.

I'm looking for some input on PDW style stocks for the M4/AR pattern rifle. What have you used, how did it function, durability and stability. I realize the cheekweld is compromised. I have tried the Law Tactical folder and it left me somewhat unimpressed. Thanks for any help.

PS: I apologize if this has been covered already but I did a search and couldn't find a thread on it...of course my search-fu could be lacking.

Unity-Trent

Amateur
Vendor
I have tried several of the PDW sliding stocks and always found something about them I didn't like.

I am now using the LWRCI Ultra Compact stock and I like it a lot. Good check weld, buffer system works well, etc.

If you can live with a stock that is slightly longer than a PDW stock collapsed, the LWRC is a good option.

Op4guy

I like the way a PDW stock collapses and keeps the overall signature of the carbine low, however I feel for a true fighting carbine it has a lot of drawbacks compared to running it on a sub-gun. If you have a malfunction and need to mortar the gun, it is not going to be as stable as a tube. If you need a good cheek weld to become stable you may find it more difficult as that is not what it was designed for, in my opinion the PDW is best suited as a point and shoot style carbine. And lastly, they are not cheap at nearly $400 and if you damage something it won't be like getting a simple part from a local shop (think bent tube).

If I needed to shrink the size of my carbine down that much I would consider running a LAW Tactical folder first. At least with that if I damage a part I could strip it down and go back to a standard tube setup easier than with a PDW collapsible sliding version.

tact

There's only about an inch to an inch and a half difference between most PDW stocks and the LWRC UC.