Impossible build quality.

marcusa

In my opinion, there are so many great companies out there offering solid complete upper receiver groups that unless I feel like tinkering or building a gamer rifle, there's no reason to build an upper from scratch. Plus if I want a pinned muzzle device or gas block, it's generally no big deal (If the option is there I will choose pinned gas block). If there's any issue, then I can just send the upper back to the OEM and they'll fix it and I don't have to mess around with a local gunsmith.

Of course a lot of it comes down to price point, but BCM, Midwest Industries and others offer affordable and quality URGs. Depending on price range and features that you're looking for in the rail/barrel, SOLGW, KAC, PWS, LMT, Triarc Systems, Colt, FN Geissele, and custom builds from reputable companies like Weapon Outfitters are readily available. In some cases a nice upper can be found used with a very low round count. Personally I tend to find that there are certain lowers, parts kits and hardware that I like to use, so that's where I take the time to assemble and then match that up to a quality, factory-built upper. I will then test fire and select a buffer/spring combo accordingly.

I'm not sure what the OP's price point is, but for an all-around training/SD/Go-to rifle I would suggest either a quality complete rifle or a quality upper from one of the aforementioned companies and then building a lower with hardware that you like and that fits your body/shooting style. That way you don't have to deal with trying to sell a run-of-the-mill MOE stock or tossing an A2 grip in a box, never to be seen again. Following that, a quality optic, ammo/training and a weapon light. A solid red dot like the Trijicon MRO can be had new or used for a very good price and even though there are more capable options out there, a used Surefire M600 at 600 lumens is still pretty good for home defense. I've had terrible luck with the Streamlight ProTac tape switches and even though they are affordable if the light doesn't fire when I press the switch it's not worth the savings. Surefire and/or Modlite.

My personal preference on an all-around/go-to rifle is:
-Upper - barrel length dependent on intended use or expected engagement distance from a quality manufacturer/assembler.
-Aero Precision, LMT-Mars-L (if I want Ambidextrous controls) or SOLGW lower receiver. I've built with others but I've found these three to be the most consistent quality.
-For charging handle whatever comes on the upper is generally OK as long as it's all aluminum but BCM and Geissele are my preference.
-BCG of quality - generally any of the OEMs of uppers mentioned will provide a quality BCG along with the upper.
-Geissele standard LPK or SOLGW LPK - I've built with many and these are the two I prefer. I really like the positivity of the Geissele selector - it's firm but I don't really have to worry about it swiping off unintentionally. This is a small thing really but highly appreciated. I've had various standard mil-spec selectors swipe off on gear. I'm slowing migrating towards only using the Geissele kit.
-Magpul MIAD grip - I like the finger shelf (sue me) and being able to remove the backstrap means I can reach the controls easily either strong or weak hand. The MIAD fills the hand a little better than the A2 and has a handy storage compartment for a lube bottle and optic adjustment tool.
-ALG ACT or QMS trigger, though I've been impressed with the SOLGW fighting trigger. ACT and QMS triggers are both very affordable and consistent in feel in my opinion.
-7075 Aluminum BCM, PWS, Sionics, Aero Precision or VLTOR A5 buffer tube/system.
-PWS ratcheting castle nut/endplate (regular is fine, but the PWS system is so easy to use with no need to stake. For little less than a Magpul QD endplate this is generally a no-brainer for me).
-Sprinco buffer springs, white or blue depending on gas system and appropriate buffer weight.

Hope this helps.

-MJ