Identifying a Colt Upper.

RedLeg

First off. I'm in FB jail, so I couldn't post it there.

I'm looking at a second hand Colt Upper. If I get it, it's gonna be on a trade. Guy doesn't know what model it is, but he knows it's a Colt. The forge marks are the C and the keyhole looking mark and there's a 5 digit number by the barrel nut.

I know the forge marks don't tell you shit about what model it is. Is there any other way to tell?

Thanks.

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Too Established
Vendor
VIP
The C on the upper would be an indicator that it is a Colt upper, where the keyhole is Cerro who made the forging. As for the numbers, could you post a pic of them?
DSCN0029Small.jpg

The barrel would be marked with a C indicating Colt, MP indicating magnetic particle inspected, then the caliber and twist rate. It looks like this:
cmp_556_nato_17.pg.jpg

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

RedLeg

There's supposed another marking here but I can't see it. An E, maybe?

Attachments

• signal-2016-12-20-040111.jpg
    signal-2016-12-20-040111.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 13

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Too Established
Vendor
VIP
None of those markings will tell you what exact model it came off of. Can you shed a little light on the barrel configuration like length, profile, twist, as that might help narrow it down. So far it looks like a Colt upper receiver and barrel. Is there a bolt carrier assembly, and if so then are there any marking on the bolt carrier or on the bolt just behind the 7 lugs?

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123