How to: Gear Review

Grayman

Established
What do you guys look for in a gear review?

I've read some good ones and some not so good ones but I want to see what you guys look for in a real winner?

More or less personal perceptions?
Fashion show (Stickman) pics or gear on a human pics?
Tech specs ad scientific data important to you?

What are the make or break factors for you?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
First off who is doing it- the reviewer's point of reference will tell me if it is something worth paying attention to.

Second, what are the conditions it is being used- sterile conditions aren't helpful to me. Glamour shots look great but they don't tell me how it works or if it fits my needs.

Third, I can't think of something at the moment.

Grayman

Established
See this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have read too many reviews where it was obvious the person wanted to sound smart but spent more time positioning the gear for a photo than actually trying it out...

I have a few reviews in the works and I feel better prepared to present them to my target audience.... Public speaking isn't scary if you just imagine yourself in your underwear, I've been practicing all morning.

JekPokins

Amateur
I agree with Riafdnal... I generally am more concerned with the reviewer and their qualification(s) as they apply to a product than I am the process of the review.
If you know what you're talking about and can communicate the key points about something, I'll likely tune in and hear it out.

ta2d_cop

Another thing I look for is a reviewer who actually bought their shit and didn't get it for free or who doesn't necessarily do it for a living. I know I will be a lot more honest about a piece of gear that I paid $200 for verses the stuff that I got for free. Adding to what Jek and Riafdnal said, I want to see it used in an environment and situation similar to what I would be using it for. I could give a fuck what some pre-pubescent wannabe commando air softer thinks about anything. On the same plain, I don't necessarily need something jumpable or super special forces qualified, although if it is good enough for them in those conditions it will no doubt fill my needs.

Bronson

Fury
My main question after who they are & what their experience is and why they are doing this is: "What are your test protocols?"

For testing TQ's, are they just checking for occlusion and lack of distal pulse? Are they checking themselves, is someone else, and / or are they using a medical device to confirm?

Or are they assessing, providing intervention, transporting casualty, and re-assessing the effectiveness of their intervention when at a CCP?

For testing magazines, how many rounds are they putting through them? Are they marking each magazine to isolate issues? If magazines have certain features (fully sealing magazine well, windows for ammunition) how are those features being tested, evaluated, and validated? What are their tests - drop tests from what height, onto what surfaces, and how many times? How are they measuring effects?

For weapon systems - I want to see groups. Saying a weapon system performed "MOA / sub-MOA" isn't good enough - seeing is believing. By the same token, I don't want dudes to sit at a range testing a match grade barrel weapon system at 25 meters with a 5-25x variable power optic just to be more accurate.

I run a small business where I T&E various items for the purposes of determining whether they will work for warfighting. I do this entirely out of pocket in order to be completely objective. My only interest is increasing the lethality and Survivability of the good guys. However, this also makes me "an enemy of the industry" in some circles as I don't hold back if I believe there are deficiencies in items and how they are marketed. This isn't something I make money off of. If an article I write is selected for inclusion into a magazine (Full disclosure - I've only sent one which was subsequently published) that payment is invested into further materiel solutions and training courses.

KMo1205

I have a love/ hate relationship with YouTube. Any idiot can make a video and post it about a product. I like nutnfancy's thought process, but watching an entire video of his is like sitting in my daughters ballet class for an hour. There are a lot of guys whose credibility is called to question as well (i.e. RangeTime), so it's always a tough call.

There are a handful of sites that I think offer good insights into gear. They have a variety of products and brands, extensive testing, and a lot of knowledge on the products. Most importantly, they keep reviews short and to the point. They show the products being used in the field and not just in the showroom. Outdoor Gear Lab, ITS Tactical, The Loadout Room, Jerking the Trigger, just to name a few. Also, Larry Vickers and Travis Haley are two guys who's reviews carry a lot of weight for me.

When writing a review, this is the format I use:

1.) What criteria/needs led me to seek this gear?
2.) How am I using/ have I used the gear, and for how long?
3.) Does it work for me with regards to my selection criteria?
4.) VS the alternatives, does it work for me in my specific lane?

I realized I don't care about manufacturer specs or other things I can get from a website, and if I were seeking reviews, these were the things I wanted to know from others