How ready is your bedside handgun?

I keep in a drawer, magazine in and round in chamber, with a custom light/trigger guard on (like a Raven Vanguard).

Question I've always wondered about: are there any mechanical implications to having a round chambered for an extended time?

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
Hooahmonster No science behind this but I have seen cops with the same bullet in the chamber for over six months with no issues. So I dont see why it would do anything?

CrazyDoc

Amateur
Most of our guys at
I keep in a drawer, magazine in and round in chamber, with a custom light/trigger guard on (like a Raven Vanguard).

Question I've always wondered about: are there any mechanical implications to having a round chambered for an extended time?

Most of our guys at the SO have the same round in the chamber all year until it's time to qual. Never been an issue that I've seen.

Also I keep my 19 with can and light attached condition one. Next to that is my SBR.

Toole

Turkishroy

Whatever I've been carrying ends up on the night stand, one in the pipe. My xds is accompanied by a spare mag, both it and my vp9 wear a light when I go to bed. No kids, so no concern for idle hands. Will eventually get a small biometric lock box when I do have small ones.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I keep a G19 with X300U (my EDC) in a Raven OWB holster on the nightstand full magazine, loaded chamber. There's also a Surefire EB2 Backup handheld light and a spare 17rd magazine there as well. Next to that is my rifle with a P3x Fury on it. Full magazine, loaded chamber.

I don't have kids (well at least not for another month or so.) Once the kiddos start coming I'll probably go with some sort of small safe for the handgun and the rifle will be put in the safe. I'll figure out the details when the time comes.

Ike

avtech850

Amateur
I keep my edc G19/X300U in my carry holster with a full mag and a round in the chamber on my night stand.
I also keep an AR sporting a P3X in a wall mounted stand with a full mag but empty chamber. However, because I have two children under the age of ten, the AR gets locked in the safe when I am not home.

jryock

Amateur
My bedside setup is my G19 with a X300U in a RCS Phantom LC holster. Right beside it is a spare 17-round magazine (i.e. G17 magazine) and one of my various handheld lights.

There is always a round in the chamber of firearms that are seeing any sort of duty. Only continuous re-chambering of the same round may cause spacing issues with the round that may cause some reliability issues. This is solved by checking the round's OAL and rotating it into range ammo.

Off-Topic Note: Make sure you check all your ammunition before use. For defense ammo, I like to visually check each round and shoot a few rounds out of each box to make sure there aren't any issues with the batch. FMJ range ammo gets a quick visual check. I've only found a handful of issues out of the thousands of rounds checked, and all of those have been in the FML range ammo. Trust... but verify.

My bedside gun is a G-19 or G-17 with a WML, mag in, round in the chamber sitting on top of my night stand and within easy reach. I have a handheld light next to that. My closest rifle to me when I am asleep is in my closet. I have to pass the closet to leave the room, so it is on the way per say. It has a magazine in the well and a round in the chamber. The battle drill goes something like this: I grab the rifle and the wife grabs the pistol and a phone, I move to the top of the stairwell and hold it. My wife moves one daughter to the other daughter’s room and barricades while she calls police. All of the bedrooms are upstairs and together. In rehearsals my wife calls 911 and uses my code number when talking to dispatch. I am a police officer and live in the county that I police so they know me by my code number. Have thought about having my police radio handy but carrying that and a rifle is a little cumbersome when I am in my underwear.

Freedom Forged

My G19 is close but My 590A1 is right beside the bedpost. And to the OP's question, I check it often. Clean the lint and dust away from fanning the covers and check the WML. There is a round chambered. That BS about a shit bag hearing the sound of a pump chambering a round scares them away is just that, Bull Shit!

Keld

I live alone outside citylimits and have noticed vehicles slowing down as they come up near my house (Placed right beside the road) and speed up again after passing it. There has been a spate of armed home invasions over the last two years by eastern european gangs.
Regulations in my country requires me to keep my weapons in a safe at all times in my home. So, of course, I comply with that *cough*
G17, +2mag, SF X300U, Unloaded *cough* Condition 1, holstered in safe *cough* on nightstand.
Spare mag and handheld light in carrier as well next to it.

Arete

Glock with X300, spare mag, flashlight, in quick access safe. Another flashlight outside of it.

JUDAN

What state is your bedside handgun left in when you turn in? Is it empty with a loaded magazine next to it? Magazine inserted and chamber empty? Magazine inserted and one in the chamber, cocked and locked? In a holster, drawer, or safe? Why do you choose to do it that way?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Condition 1

Nightstand, ready to go. Very often in a holster and sometimes not all. Depend's on what happened that current day if I was in the field or not. I keep it on the night-stand because it's quicker and quieter than a safe/drawer

SCSU74

Handguns fully loaded with one chambered in various locations around the house. Carbine with mag loaded, chamber empty under bed with Rem 870 (+2 extension and side saddle).

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Handgun loaded, chambered, WML attached, in holster. All other guns in the safe. I have no children at the time, but once they come along I'll need to invest in some sort of lockbox or quicksafe. Anyone know of something like that suitable for rifles?