How ready is your bedside handgun?

AZ-Bob

What state is your bedside handgun left in when you turn in? Is it empty with a loaded magazine next to it? Magazine inserted and chamber empty? Magazine inserted and one in the chamber, cocked and locked? In a holster, drawer, or safe? Why do you choose to do it that way?

Thanks for your thoughts!

WayneF

I keep my pistol condition three in a holster that is mounted to a custom platform made by Peters Custom Holsters. It secures the holstered pistol and a handheld light and is mounted between the mattress and box spring.

After hearing accounts of semi-conscious officers having negligent discharges (in one case fatal) after grabbing a loaded pistol in the middle of the night, I find it prudent to leave the pistol with an empty chamber.

regdudedrtyjob

I put my duty belt beside my side of the bed, after closing and locking the door. Round in the chamber, fully loaded magazine inserted, with 2 spares in my mag carrier on the belt.

adam_s

My pistol is in my nightstand. If it is in a holster (as it commonly is), there is a round in the chamber. If it is not holstered (just sitting in a drawer), it has a loaded magazine, but empty chamber.

Loaded with round in chamber in a holster mounted to the back of the nightstand with spare flashlight also mounted on the nightstand.

JimH

Pistol loaded with round in chamber, in holster, in dresser drawer, with spare flashlight.

Reactions: MG6

Grayman

Established
I keep either my duty gun with WML or my carry gun with a flashlight and often both. They are always loaded w/ one in the chamber sitting on the night stand in whatever holster they came off of me wearing.

I don't buy the groggy excuse for ND's and keeping a gun less than ready to go. (I am in no way discrediting the stories of those it has happened to, I wasn't there and I'm not trying to judge). If you think being tired will make you shoot a loved one on accident maybe you shouldn't respond and just bust out the phone... You probably won't remeber to chamber a round if this is really the case.

I have pointed my gun at loved ones who surprised me in the middle of the night which is why having a light is required NOT optional for me. My family knows how I will respond and even though I was woken out of a dead sleep I made my target ID's, no one was shot. Yes it's incredibly uncomfortable to realize your fiancée was just staring down the barrel and it can be tough to fall asleep until your heart rate comes back down but it just emphasizes the need for complete target ID. Have a light and be extremely intentional with everything you do. Your delayed motor skills and cognitive ability will have already put you behind the curve but rushing to catch up isn't going to make your brain work faster.

Due to a curious five year old, I keep mine condition one, weapon light attached, in a quick access safe on the dresser. I know it's not right by the bed, but I feel it gives me the needed wake up time to be able to make good decisions.

hogarth

Glock 17 with TLR1 in DAC Sportsafe next to bed. Gun is loaded with round chambered. Four year old twins in my house, so any guns not on me are secured in safes.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
The weapon is kept with a magazine inserted, round in chamber, and holstered with a side-saddle carrier for my handheld; the pistol being without a rail.

I don't have roommates and the like. No one overnights who can't be reasonably trusted not to spackle the walls.

MojoNixon

Established
Glock 19 or 17 with light, round chambered, 17 round mag with +2 extension in a home made between the mattress and box spring holster set-up. Handheld G2 with 570 lumen lumaforce module in it on nightstand, 4 spare mags in nightstand, BUG (LC9) with 1 spare mag in nightstand.

Bronson

Fury
Handgun is in its holster on my LBE. Magazine inserted, round in chamber.

I live alone. Overnight guests know their way around firearms and are outfitted properly if need be.

LBE allows me to have a handgun, blade, rifle reloads, handgun reloads, shotgun reloads, IFAK, handheld light, CS Grenades, and a gas mask all in one setup. Its a concept I first learned from Louie Awerbuck who used a dedicated belt line setup for home defense. I've adapted it to my requirements.