Help me pick a SiCo rifle can

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
Hey guys, looking to buy my first and only rifle can for a long while. This will live on the 11.5 house gun, but will routinely get thrown on the 18" for hunting. I don't see a .308 in my future even though I'd like to get one someday. I'll prob get a dedicated suppressor for that though. I don't shoot as much as I used to. Trying to focus on other things right now.

Here's what I'm looking for in order of most important to least important -

As little flash as possilbe - It's why the Saker 762 with 556 flash hiding end cap is at the top of my list.
Sound suppression - what's the purpose of a can if not to suppress the sound?
Repeatable - Mostly for the hunting rifle.
Weight - oz = pounds, etc
Length - I don't want to turn it into a fence post, so the 9" Specwar 762 is out of the question.
Durability - I won't be shooting full auto or doing mag dumps. 11.5" is the shortest I'll ever go.
Blowback - gas vent and adjustable gas block should make this a non issue.

Thoughts? I'm not really open to other manufacturers, but if something fits the bill then I'll listen closely.

Thanks,
Mate

Last edited by a moderator:

MustangLT

VIP
So I have the Saker 556 with the Trifecta mount. I don't have a high round count through it so no idea on longevity. Honestly I don't know what the best mount is for the Saker. The Trifecta is working for me. A dude at the place I bought it used to work for SiCo and hates the trifecta (seems there is some bad blood there but I'm not going to speculate too much). His recommendation was to go with the AAC Blackout mount option. His opinion is it's stronger, but not necesarily more accurate.

My can is primarily for my 11.5" but does go on my 16" also. In fact it will be used this weekend at a scoped carbine course on the 16". My unscientific testing show very little POI difference between "no can" and "can" targets. Maybe .5 to 1" at 100yds.

JB3

Amateur
I have a 556 Saker on my 11.5 work gun. I feel that it is hearing safe but don't know what the numbers really are. I use the Trifecta mount because flash suppression is more important to me than compensating gas. My POI shift suppressed and unsuppressed is very minimal. I am just shooting 193 and 855 usually so nothing special.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Any reason you are set on a 5.56 can? Why not pick up a 7.62 can like the Omega that is usable from 300 BLK to 300 WinMag and fully auto rated. One and Done. Arguably get better noise levels using the larger can as well.

MustangLT

VIP
For me, I wasn't set on a 5.56 can, it just made sense. I don't have any .30cal rifles that I'd put a can on and honestly didn't know that some .30 cans had any better noise reduction. If I did, it would be dedicated to that .30 cal rifle and not come off.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Im just saying... just like safe's, just because you dont *think* you will need the bigger size... get the bigger size.

JimH

I have a integral Armtac Rendition on my 11.5" 300BLK house gun, , and it has done great for me. I have shot supers and subs through it without fail. I know the man who built it, and in the event I have a question (2 so far) or problem (0 so far), I know the resolution is only a text or call away..

tact

I have three SilencerCo cans. Two Saker762s and a Specwar556. I roll one Saker with the 556 end cap. I like modularity of the mounts as I can move them all around. I only bought the 556 can because I already had two 30 cal cans. If the extra length doesn't bother you I'd recommend the 30 cal can for its versatility......but then again once you start going NFA it's hard to stop.

LSA_Miller

Lone Star Armory
Vendor
Up until recently the Saker series has been our go-to can for our clients for carbines. Good mount, durability, repeatability, good overall suppression comparable or better to other cans in its class. If you're set on Silencerco, a saker 5.56 or 7.62 would definitely suit your needs.

You might give dead air a look before you throw down money. Similar features and benefits to the Saker... but they only come in a 7.62 configuration. Rated up to .300 win mag, and they don't have a MAAD style mount, which was what we considered to be the main weak point (maybe) of the saker. It does have a one handed on/off akin to the Saker. The Sandman-S is where I'd point you there.

regdudedrtyjob

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the MAAD mount and it being the weak point? I am looking at the Saker and the Specwar, so I am curious about this before I pick one up.

LSA_Miller

Lone Star Armory
Vendor
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the MAAD mount and it being the weak point? I am looking at the Saker and the Specwar, so I am curious about this before I pick one up.

Certainly. We had a few clients carbon lock their Sakers onto the trifecta mount. Enough pressure was applied trying to remove it to the point that the body of the saker came off the MAAD, while the MAAD stayed on the trifecta.

Things to note:
1) These incidents (two of our clients, with a few other incidents known) were relatively early days after the release, and may have been addressed by Silencerco as we haven't seen this issue from anyone for a little while. In every case there were no broken components, and function was unimpeded once the MAAD was removed from the trifecta, and the body of the suppressor reattached.
2) The detaching issue has been mitigated by some folks who chose to utilize the ASR/Specwar MAAD mount instead of the stock option.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
LSA_Miller: I'm looking hard at an Omega, as it could apply across the board to my entire current spectrum of rifles and any future purchases (300 WM/Norma is about as big as I ever want to get).

So in your experience the ASR/Specwar MAAD mount functions better? I was planning on getting a couple MB's for the long guns and some FH's for the AR's to make it cross compatible.

LSA_Miller

Lone Star Armory
Vendor
LSA_Miller: I'm looking hard at an Omega, as it could apply across the board to my entire current spectrum of rifles and any future purchases (300 WM/Norma is about as big as I ever want to get).

So in your experience the ASR/Specwar MAAD mount functions better? I was planning on getting a couple MB's for the long guns and some FH's for the AR's to make it cross compatible.

I'm not sure about "better" the Saker MAAD does what it is supposed to, we just witnessed issues when people ran their cans enough to get a hard carbon lock. There are ways to mitigate the issue, as previously mentioned.

I think the ASR is a solid mount and you shouldn't have any concern with using a can that has this mount. My personal experience with the Omega is limited. I have shot it a bit, and we've sold some. Impressions so far are positive. Light, quiet, full auto rated. Since it's relatively new we haven't had the chance to break one yet. ;)

I think its a good candidate for a multi-role can though.

JRLym

So I have the Saker 556 with the Trifecta mount. I don't have a high round count through it so no idea on longevity. Honestly I don't know what the best mount is for the Saker. The Trifecta is working for me. A dude at the place I bought it used to work for SiCo and hates the trifecta (seems there is some bad blood there but I'm not going to speculate too much). His recommendation was to go with the AAC Blackout mount option. His opinion is it's stronger, but not necesarily more accurate.

My can is primarily for my 11.5" but does go on my 16" also. In fact it will be used this weekend at a scoped carbine course on the 16". My unscientific testing show very little POI difference between "no can" and "can" targets. Maybe .5 to 1" at 100yds.

The ASR mount for the Saker is a much better choice over the AAC mount for 2 reasons. The gas seal location is critical in keeping the mount functional, the AAC mount puts it behind the threads where carbon can work its way into the threads and stick the can, the ASR was designed with the gas seal in front of the threads so all that carbon doesn't ever touch the course thread. the 2nd reason is the ringing found in 3 prong flash hiders in cans, the unequal length prongs on the ASR trifecta stops this obnoxious ringing and improves the overall experience with the silencer. The only reason the AAC mount exists is to appeal to the user who has a serious investment in flash hiders from AAC already and wants to upgrade his gear with a better silencer without breaking the bank switching brands.

JRLym

The Omega is the lighter option, The Saker 762/556 is the more versatile option. The flash hider front cap isn't available on the Omega and that might be a feature you don't want to live without. If you have any sort of doubts in the saker trifecta mount, just get it with the ASR mount, both mounts are great. The Omega ships with the ASR mount and a direct thread adapter. Saker if you want robust, one step locking and flash hider. Omega if you want a quieter, lighter, newer design.

rob_s

I'm buying an Omega myself. I do wish they'd use that end "brake" area of the can for a baffle instead of that brake nonsense, but on paper it otherwise appears to do everything I want it to. I believe it is probably less durable than other options, but I don't care since I rarely shoot suppressed, and certainly not in any volume when I do.

JRLym

I'm buying an Omega myself. I do wish they'd use that end "brake" area of the can for a baffle instead of that brake nonsense, but on paper it otherwise appears to do everything I want it to. I believe it is probably less durable than other options, but I don't care since I rarely shoot suppressed, and certainly not in any volume when I do.

The anchor brake actually reduces sound so it benefits the user already the same as another baffle. If you don't think it's a benefit you can remove it and use the flat from cap easy enough

JRLym

That seems odd, it adds length and weight and leaves you with less options. . Maybe the Saker762 is a better fit

rob_s

I just don't see how a "can-brake" reduces sound. It's venting the gases to the outside, is it not?

listen, if that can-brake actually does reduce sound the way a baffle would, I'm down. I just don't think it does.

And a Saker would be far heavier (20 vs. 14 oz). I would be an added baffle wouldn't add much, if any, weight vs. the can-brake. There's no way it would add enough to get to Saker weight.

At the end of the day, I'll still buy one, as I think it's the best option currently available, I'd just prefer it a slightly different way.