Gun Safe and Secure Storage

Anyone have a link or would like to start a discussion on how to go about buying a gun safe? A safe can be expensive, and I've always preferred to just buy another gun, but I'm starting to look into buying a safe. I don't know quite where to start! What features should I look for, are there any brands to stay away from? Where are good places to purchase one, any deals to be found? What other considerations are there?

Things I have heard, so trust at your discretion.

1. Replacing failed electronic locks with mechanical ones is a non insignificant part of the locksmith business.
2. Even if the fire rating is top notch if the house is a complete loss that safe is going to turn into an oven under the ashes.
3. The two most common things left behind in sold houses are safes and pianos. Too heavy and the cost for professional movers makes it cost effective to just buy a new one.

Assuming all of these things are true the next time I am looking at getting a safe I want to get something that comes in a flat pack and assembles with internal fasteners. I saw a really intriguing display at Pheasant Fest a few years back but don't remember that company's name. These look to be some current offerings with a quick search.

These guys have some secure wall panels that might also be an option depending on your situation. They wouldn't work in my current house but maybe someday.

Things I have heard, so trust at your discretion.

1. Replacing failed electronic locks with mechanical ones is a non insignificant part of the locksmith business.
2. Even if the fire rating is top notch if the house is a complete loss that safe is going to turn into an oven under the ashes.
3. The two most common things left behind in sold houses are safes and pianos. Too heavy and the cost for professional movers makes it cost effective to just buy a new one.

Assuming all of these things are true the next time I am looking at getting a safe I want to get something that comes in a flat pack and assembles with internal fasteners. I saw a really intriguing display at Pheasant Fest a few years back but don't remember that company's name. These look to be some current offerings with a quick search.

These guys have some secure wall panels that might also be an option depending on your situation. They wouldn't work in my current house but maybe someday.

Good info, thanks!

Pearce

Amateur
Anyone have a link or would like to start a discussion on how to go about buying a gun safe? A safe can be expensive, and I've always preferred to just buy another gun, but I'm starting to look into buying a safe. I don't know quite where to start! What features should I look for, are there any brands to stay away from? Where are good places to purchase one, any deals to be found? What other considerations are there?
I’d start with figuring out what the most likely vs most dangerous threat is in your area (example: fire, smash and grab burglary, kids accessing firearms, organized criminal gangs with blow torches, etc.) all that is going to drive your options…along with price of course.

The majority of safes sold in big box stores/
online are actually Residential Security Containers and usually consist of thin sheets of metal covering drywall in order to make the safes appear thick and “secure”. That said the majority of people will be fine with “safe” from a big box store as long as it’s bolted down to the floor. These are enough to keep kids out as well as casual criminals from walking off with your guns.

Better safes would include brands like American Security Safes, Fort Knox Safes, and Sturdy Safes all of which use better quality materials and thicker steel in their builds. I’ve have a sturdy safe for the last 10 years and it’s a tank.

Beyond safes a layered security approach to your residence is just as important as a good safe (doors locked, burglary alarm set, tools secured, safe door locked).

Sorry this is a quick SWAG while I’m sitting in the car waiting on my wife.

Stanislao

I'm going to echo the "define your threat" mentioned above. With kids you can skimp on weight and durability, but the locking mechanism becomes more important. Unfortunately most safe locks are shit, try to find something with a good mechanical dial and no keyed backup lock. Destructive entry is a different animal, requiring a serious safe for meaningful resistance. Even then a skilled team that knows you have a safe worth breaking into will be able to do so.

In any case, place your safe out of sight and have some cameras in or near it. Concealing the safe avoids attention and awkward conversations. Having any kind of camera that notifies you of attempts on the safe is helpful against all threats, at least unless they take out your internet.

shoobe01

Established
I am big on define-the-threat and went with a cage for my house. Layered, a concrete (tiny) room the stuff is in, then a cage inside that for firearms. All Simplex locks. Suburban, ISO-1, we appreciate the nosy neighbors, we have a low risk of theft, a near zero risk of someone using heavy tools etc, and whole-structure-loss fire risk is low.

(Important documents are in a legit commercial spec fire cabinet, not a consumer grade one).

1000% go with mechanical. Ideally electronics would work, but I have worked (professionally) with embedded systems plenty enough to know its not even worth hoping anymore they will work, as much as e.g. biometrics would help speed up access.

Find a local dealer instead of mail order I tend to say. Here in KC there's one reportedly good where the Bushnell outlet was (they moved next door) but even a trustworthy locksmith may be able to help, whether safe or vault. Keep the local info, they may buy it back (some deal in used ones) or help move it when you move out if you no longer need it.

Think about a vault instead. A secure room, not a box you have to put somewhere. Can be more space efficient, and can be fairly inexpensive as you just make sure the outer walls of the room get suitably reinforced, and then install a very strong and securely locked door to the room (closet etc). Best installs I have seen for new construction are like this, whole side of the basement as a sealed off room etc but possible to do in existing construction. You can even upgrade slowly, start with just securing the door then move to secure the walls, make organizers, etc.