Good rails for ir laser use.

Farmboy20

I’m currently putting together a 14.5 di upper i have the barrel (14.5 faxon 1/8) and the upper receiver (vltor on back order) im trying to decide on the best rail to get for it. It needs to be able to hold zero for ir laser. I’ve been looking at the gisseles but with all the mk whatever I can’t seem to tell them apart except on has those rail section at the end that just look silly to me. If someone could point me to the directions of which Geissele on that be best or another rail that be good. I prefer mlok.

PS while we on the subject of rails has anyone used the mxc spear lt with ir laser mounted on the rail and does it hold zero?

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Too Established
Vendor
VIP
We have built seeveral rifles using the Midwest Industries Night Fighter rail.

1693802795642.jpeg

Then I would also recommend if using an ATPIAL / PEQ15, the Midwest Industries PEQ15 front sight, which is designed to properly integrate as you will see in this pic around the lasers and illuminator.
1693802974954.jpeg

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Farmboy20

Hell yea man I’ll definitely look into them. Although idk the front sight will work with my dir-v

Royroy

Amateur
For Geissele either a MK8 or Mk16 would be a good choice on sale now for approximately $211. Solgw M89 is a super solid rail blem in stock for $239. Night fighter rail as mentioned is also a decent rail. For the same price tho I would go SOLGW. If you decide to go with the M89 my two cents would be to cancel the VLTOR and get a sons upper to make use of the anti rotation pin. I just built an 11.5 upper with the SOLGW upper and M89 handguard and I am very impressed so far. Both were blems and I can’t tell why or what minor defect there is with them.

Farmboy20

For Geissele either a MK8 or Mk16 would be a good choice on sale now for approximately $211. Solgw M89 is a super solid rail blem in stock for $239. Night fighter rail as mentioned is also a decent rail. For the same price tho I would go SOLGW. If you decide to go with the M89 my two cents would be to cancel the VLTOR and get a sons upper to make use of the anti rotation pin. I just built an 11.5 upper with the SOLGW upper and M89 handguard and I am very impressed so far. Both were blems and I can’t tell why or what minor defect there is with them.
Solgw was my first choice in receivers but unfortunately i am a southpaw and prefer uppers without a forward assist (crucify me later) due them constantly stabbing me in the side or gut. And thanks on the geissele info.

Default.mp3

Established
Obligatory screed that you're looking for a handguard, and not a rail.

You can utilize the anti-rotation pin with the Hodge-designed handguards if you want with the MUR, if you're willing to drill it, that's what I've done with all of mine to utilize the WedgeLock and V7 Enlightened handguards with the anti-rotation pin.

Besides the various Hodge-designed handguards, MI Nightfigher, and Geissele options, there's also the Ripcord Industries LDR, Daniel Defense RIS, and KAC URX4 that typically get good reviews on not having terrible handguard deflection.

That being said, deflection is separate from simply holding zero. Ask yourself if you'll be using the rifle in a manner in which deflection would be an issue (remember, the whole Geissele Bendy Boi MK16 debacle wasn't an issue of high deflection with the MK16 on the URGI, but loss of zero due to impact on the handguard).

shoobe01

Established
Hard agree re zero and deflection. Doesn't matter which handguard/rails but I and some friends have been running such setups with lasers or even Reflex sights well forward on the rail for as much as 15 years, in all weather, enough stoppage drills, barricade usage, and periodically falling down pretty hard (even on it), etc. no loss of zero. None. We shoot stuff past 300 yds with these setups, we're sure no change in zero.

I can absolutely deflect it but afaik all the good name brand floating rails are as good as perfectly rigid. They go back to their original position even when we try to move them, and it's pretty hard to move them even if you are leaning in on a barricade etc.