Good enough for duty?

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
What does this mean? We issue every copper a Colt Commando with T-1, Fury and either a VTAC or VCAS sling. This is their "duty" gun and for the most part it rides around in the rack, sits on the locker and occasionally gets dragged out on calls.

I have a Frankengun that has over 20K fired thru it with no issues other than normal parts breaking for that round count. It has a quality BCG and Barrel. During the year that I was kicked off SWAT for a sustained IA on being discourteous to a senior officer, it was my duty gun since Sergeants do not get issued rifles.

Without question I trusted my personal gun more than the Colt pool guns I could have checked out at start of shift. Acceptable as a duty gun or do you want to know the make and model of everything on the gun before you feel comfortable saying it was duty ready?

Or is duty ready more along the lines of what military personnel require? Or is duty ready really mean that it has been wrung out, it's accurate and its capable of doing the job?

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
My deputy chief lied to me and I called him a liar. Went to several lieutenants and told them he was a fucking liar. Eventually made its way to Chief who told me he wasn't a liar, gave me a written reprimand for not telling him directly and removed me from SWAT. Both of those dickheads left and The new Chief put me back on.

The actual dealio on the letter was conduct unbecoming of an officer, subsection K, courtesy to a senior officer.

ta2d_cop

Bill, your my kinda dude, been demoted for much of the same. As far as your gun goes, I have a DPMS upper and lower with BCM barrel and LMT BCG that I have 7500+ rounds through with no issues. Got a MK12ish inspired SPR that's frankengunish too. Shoots sub-MOA all day long. I'm a frankengun fan all the way. Why buy and strip when you can built to your own specs/needs/price range.

ta2d_cop

But what made you think it was duty ready? Round count? Quality heart with BCG/Barrel?

Quality guts. Properly staked key, head space good to go, extra power extractor spring and buffer, hand polished mil spec FCG, and extra power buffer spring and H1 buffer. Those components have always been a winning combo for me. The reliability and duty ready status is based on components, not round count. I don't know about you but I don't have the luxury, time or budget to run a 5k+ reliability test.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
Agreed and I think with the Assembled stick I want 1000 rounds down range. Once it's performing, I would say that it's duty ready. I have assembled a bunch and all of them run like champs. Is the issue with assembled guns only if they have shitty parts? I have been to AR armorer 7 times and Elmore's advanced armorer, I have all necessary tools. Is it some level of armoring skill?

For the masses, would any of you take the gun I mentined above and use it for duty?

ta2d_cop

I definately think its all about internals. Shit inside = shit outside, plain and simple. An in spec upper/lower is what it is. I really don't give a fuck what's carved on the side. If I can save a few $$$ on an upper/lower to put into the guts that really matter I will. If I don't have a cool name or pictograms on it, so what. It ain't no fashion show. It's all about performance and what works best for the needs of the shooter.

Detmongo

Amateur
While not a duty rifle my teaching rifle is a rock river upper on a dpms lower. This thing just runs like a scalled dog. The round count on the upper is just north of 16,000 rds, while the lower has 80,000+ rds. thru it. Nothing done to the upper other than gas rings and extractor springs. the lower has been rebuilt once plus a few action spring changes. My duty rifles is a Ruger Mini 14, it runs that's all i can say at this time.