Go to drills for pistol & rifle?

What's your go to drills when you head to to the range for both pistol and carbine?

Looking at add a few more drills into my range sessions.

Thanks

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
transitions to pistol using dummy rounds in the carbine - typically trying to juggle multiple things at once to make it more difficult

KMo1205

One I just learned one using a target with 6 number circles (or different colored shapes).
policestuff_2366_6528779186

The targets on the left side are for your left hand shooting, the targets on your right are for your right hand shooting.

Someone then calls out a single or series of numbers, shapes, colors, etc. The number in the target represents the number of shots to that target. It works on support side, strong side shooting transitions. I transition to the pistol when my carbine runs dry. Reload and transition between series. Can also be done with barrier to shoot around in front of you.

Grayman

Established
Dot torture!!! I love to hate it! No matter how good you think you are the dots will humble you. Score perfect back up 2yds. Get tired of backing up now put them all through the same hole... There's a lot of other drills that will test your ability but the dots you can do alone with only a box of ammo and 15 minutes of your time.

For rifle, practice standing shots at 50-100yds. For pistol, practice standing shots at 25-50yds.

I get asked a lot by people how they can get better quick, and honestly without some form of oversight to correct habits, it's difficult if you don't know how to self-diagnose. The one thing I always point out is that when you go to the range, 90%+ of people there are shooting inside of 7yds. That's their comfort zone. People like to shoot where they are comfortable. For most shooters, it's not about being better, it's about making themselves feel better with the satisfaction of a good hit. It's even more prevalent with guys shooting with friends, or especially with women watching. A lot of people won't shoot at 15-25yds because it starts to show errors. This hurts the ego and isn't as much fun, and a lot of recreational shooting on a public range revolves around the ego, or just having fun.

The premise is that anyone who can hit a target at long range can hit a target at close range. Just because you can hit a target HCM at 5yds doesn't mean that you can make that same hit at 25yds with a pistol or 50yds with a rifle.

After that, I like to use a timer and run the MEU(SOC) Qual.