Freestyle at 25 yards

Boringly reliable Gen4 G17, Trij sights, S3F blem barrel, some fairly generic 147gr reloads. I was happy. Fifteen rounds sent downrange, I count fourteen on paper.

IMG_1652.JPG

tylerw02

Nice, I start and finish each range session now with 5 rounds at 25 yards. I've done this since taking a Yeti class this past fall. This is from Monday. I shot 6 this time because I wanted to shoot a carry load. This is my range ammo and shoots higher than carry ammo. Shot through RS. By far the best I've shot in my entire life.

50de7bcdae8e3971f2e8ea43d5278604.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinmove_

I've been starting to really push myself to shoot better at 25 yards and working one handed shooting among other things.

Here's a couple samples from my last range trip or two. Both targets are NRA B-8 targets.

This is 20 rounds at 25 yards shot in 2 different 10 round strings.

29d25153d223b5ba5adf76ea5f80080b.jpg

Here's one from the range trip before. 10 rounds at 25 yards. I had some white paint on the front sight during this string which I think was causing those 3 shots that went high.

2a5c84279b68f404575c55cac79ec71c.jpg

Both targets shot with my G19Gen4 which is all stock except:

Defoor sights
Medium backstrap
Talon granulate grips
Smooth OEM trigger
Pierce grip plug

Longeye

Established
It is good to see people stretching the pistol back out again. There was a long time when 15 yards was long range and 7 was the normal distance.

I hope the 50 yard line comes back into common play with handguns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

spinmove_

Where I'm at, if you want to shoot further than 25y, then you're most likely going to an outdoor range that requires you to have no more than 6 rounds in your magazine and you cannot shoot more than 1 round per second. Otherwise it's indoor square ranges. None of them let you draw from the holster.

Longeye

Established
Where I'm at, if you want to shoot further than 25y, then you're most likely going to an outdoor range that requires you to have no more than 6 rounds in your magazine and you cannot shoot more than 1 round per second. Otherwise it's indoor square ranges. None of them let you draw from the holster.

Not really a problem...

Practice your speed and manipulation at other ranges.

The 50 yard line is about technique and focus. Speed and decimal split times are great, but everything you need to know about the 50 yard line can be trained and practiced within the parameters you have laid out.

The 50 separates the men from the boys. It also separates poor ammo and loose guns from the good stuff.

Given the opportunity, are you better off not training because of some arbitrary parameters, or are you better served training to the limits

Not really a problem...

Practice your speed and manipulation at other ranges.

The 50 yard line is about technique and focus. Speed and decimal split times are great, but everything you need to know about the 50 yard line can be trained and practiced within the parameters you have laid out.

The 50 separates the men from the boys. It also separates poor ammo and loose guns from the good stuff.

Given the opportunity, are you better off not training because of some arbitrary parameters, or are you better served training to the absolute limits of your equipment, skill, and facilities?

spinmove_

You're right, I would benefit from the time that I'd spend doing some work at the 50y line. The problem lies in having to make two separate range trips for pistol shooting. Next chance I get to zero my rifles I'll see if I can't get some 50yd shots in there with pistols as well.

Yondering

It is good to see people stretching the pistol back out again. There was a long time when 15 yards was long range and 7 was the normal distance.

I hope the 50 yard line comes back into common play with handguns.

You might be surprised to find out that a bunch of us who are serious about pistol shooting regularly shoot at longer distance, 100 yds and more. Most of the guys in my local training group can make 50 yard head shots on call, most of the time, because they practice it.

To the OP - you might be interested in the GSSF indoor leagues if there's one near you. The scenarios change every 3 months (one "match"), but several of them go out to 25 yards. Next week at my local range we're shooting two of the 5 targets at 25 yards. Those are 10 rounds and 15 seconds each. It's good marksmanship practice and pretty laid back.

Yondering

Some of the very best long distance pistol training (it was play not training at the time) I ever did was using an accurate Ruger MKI .22 at 100-200 yards. Used to do that all the time as a kid just shooting at stuff up in the mountains; I think that experience played a big role in my marksmanship today.

Judging drop at long distance as a percentage of the front sight to hold over, as well as wind, with the little .22 was great practice, and if you could spot the hits, it really showed if the fundamentals were correct. I think using something accurate like that old target pistol was more useful towards developing good fundamentals than something more difficult like a Glock.

spinmove_

For you guys that shoot at distances beyond 25 yards, are you finding that your front sight width is a limiting factor? How about rear sight notch width? Or is it all user preference and you could make the same hits with fat front sights and tons of light around it? Would any of those things affect your ability to make those shots under a time constraint?

Yondering

Other opinions will differ, but I shoot a lot at longer distances and never found front sight width to be significant, whether it was standard or narrow. I do prefer less light around the front sight for precision though; a rear notch that's too wide for the front leaves more room for windage error in my experience. Of course that's talking about slow fire precision, not speed shooting where a little more daylight can be useful.

Freedom Forged

I try not to go the the range without a plan, I usually try to have something to work on. As uncomfortable as it is I tried changing some thing with my grip today. Though the result is nothing to brag about it is an improvement for me. As you guys know making changes to your grip is often cumbersome and clumsy.

Slow Fire, 1 round every 2-3 seconds
Freestyle
25 YDS

hydNGNP.jpg

ptrlcop

Established
For purely isolating my ability to work sights and trigger there isn't anything better than 25yd SHO B8s. Freestyle is good too but that second hand allows me to get away with a bit more slop on the trigger.

The more I shoot the more I realize those old time NRA conventional bullseye guys know a few things about shooting. If you can score 90% of the points on the timed and rapid fire stages you are on your way.

I also think supported kneeling on an SR1 at 100 is a pretty good equivalent with the carbine when it comes to isolating marksmanship fundamentals.

The targets are important to me because they are so standard it helps me objectively compare performance to others.

JHaddock07

Amateur
For you guys that shoot at distances beyond 25 yards, are you finding that your front sight width is a limiting factor? How about rear sight notch width? Or is it all user preference and you could make the same hits with fat front sights and tons of light around it? Would any of those things affect your ability to make those shots under a time constraint?

Fundamentals become more important as distance increases (although it should go without saying).

As far as shooting with "iron sights" goes, I prefer fiber optic front sights if not fiber optic front and rear. I probably don't speak for the majority here, but as long as your mechanics are solid, the sight setup shouldn't matter a whole lot at distance. For reference, I have tagged C-Zone steel at 67 yards (laser range finder) with "XS Big Dot" sights on a G43, and that same steel at 134 yards with a factory G19. GRANTED time was not a factor on those shots.

Time constraints add stress, so now you're getting into a bit of the biological effects of stress and how the effects of those biological reactions will interact with your physical functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro