Fiber optic sights for duty?

Grayman

Established
Discussion in the night sights thread got me thinking... What's the verdict would you run/trust fiber sights on your duty gun?

I do run them on duty and trust them as much as any other sight.

Proper installation is the key. The end of this lays it out. http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=216

My Gen4 17 Duty gun which is fed only duty ammo has about 10k rounds in the last year without a FO failure. I install a new piece about every 3k rds to keep it bright. I've run them on my USPSA guns for years with the same results.

WayneF

I have fiber optic fronts on a couple of pistols. Thousands of rounds over the course of 10 years or so and I have not had a single rod break on a Dawson or Warren sight.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
I'll be the dissenting voice here, but I've replaced dozens of busted FO light pipes, and seen busted FO FS blades, on all sorts of different guns.

RickJames

Amateur
I use Warren Tactical FO on my duty weapon (G22). Never had any issues in training or competition prior to putting them in service, and they have proven to be 100% reliable at work. I do, however, change the FO periodically; like an oil change, if you will.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Asking strictly from a professional POV here...

For the folks running FO,
-Is the added maintenence (swapping the light pipe) worth it, vice running all black or the dreaded tritium?
-Have you guys seen no issues with breakage?
-If/when you ever had a FO breakage, did you notice any degradation in effectiveness? (ie: where's my shiny dot?)
-Are FO really that much better for you, especially in dim/twilight situations?

I ask because, as I said in the fb discussion, I've seen lots of FO sights go TU, and on the couple I've tested, had limited utility. They work ok in bright light, but don't light up much unless it's close to daylight bright. They turn into black sights pretty quick.

Curious as to y'alls thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Edit: I'm willing to be convinced to go to the Light(pipe) Side.

Last edited:

Grizzly

My g19 has at least 2000 rounds through it with TFOs and they are still going strong. I did put a little dab of super glue on top as preventative maintenance. So far they've worked great in bright light, dim (shoot house and covered porch) light and glow well in the dark. I know 2k is a paltry number in some circles but it speaks well to durability in my mind. It isn't my primary duty weapon but it is carried nearly daily for conceal carry and I've qualified with it to use as a backup weapon after graduation. I trust the sights to save my life if needed.

RickJames

Amateur
It may just be a case of personal preference in the end. Ive never had one break on me, but if it did, you're basically left with a tiny peep sight up front. Not sure how effective that would be, other than a standard black sight with a hole in it. Something to try out at the range this weekend.

Grizzly

First, I'm no stickman when it comes to photos. I'm sure there is a half blind monkey drinking anti-freeze for fun that does better pictures. With that out of the way I tried taking pictures of a few various sites for comparing how they do in various lighting conditions.

The contenders are:
1. M&P wearing factory trijicon night sites
2. G19 wearing TFO tritiums
3. Ameriglo Pro-IDOT Tritium

Outside in moderate light.
IMG_0907.JPG

Looking up at the sky

IMG_0911.jpg

In a dark closet no light
IMG_0915.JPG

Same closet with a trl1-hl (600ish lumen claimed) in front of them IMG_0916.JPG

Dark closet with trl1-hl up and behind the guns IMG_0917.JPG

ScottPM09

Grizzly, those comparison pics are exactly what I've been waiting for! I currently run the Ameriglo sights on my duty gun and was contemplating trying out FOs for my future 1911 build. This makes my decision quite easy. I think what shocked me the most is your "no-light closet" pic....I was expecting the FO to be dark (keep in mind I have zero experience running them).

Grizzly

Grizzly, those comparison pics are exactly what I've been waiting for! I currently run the Ameriglo sights on my duty gun and was contemplating trying out FOs for my future 1911 build. This makes my decision quite easy. I think what shocked me the most is your "no-light closet" pic....I was expecting the FO to be dark (keep in mind I have zero experience running them).
Remember there are fiber optic only (FO) and tritium fiber optic (TFO) sights. The pictures I posted are the TFOs so they have tritium under the fiber so they glow in the dark. Normal FO sights with no tritium wouldn't glow like that at all.