FBI "Active Shooter for Law Enforcement Executives"

WayneF

I recently attended an active shooter conference for law enforcement executives that was put on by the FBI. It was a two day long event that was brought in subject matter experts for each specialty and culminated in a table top exercise to wrap everything together.

There were participants from local, county, state, campus, and federal law enforcement agencies in attendance which ensured a wide range of experiences and capabilities would be present and we all could learn from one another.

A wide range of topics were covered and started out pre-event indicators and methods to spot and prevent active shooters. This included someone from the Behavioral Analysis Unit talking us through the various phases that most active shooters follow before carrying out an attack.

From there we spent some time covering how to best handle the media and how it relates to the 24 hour news cycle.

After lunch on the first day we delved into how to manage a complex active shooter/mass shooting situation. This was one of the best presentations in my opinion. We covered where the NIMS/ICS structure starts to clash with the end goal of law enforcement. We discussed such topics as setting up a separate investigative command post and how to transition from first responders, initial command, ICS/unified command and finally the investigative phase. This portion alone could be presented as a separate block of instruction as far as I am concerned.

A FBI SWAT member came in to brief us on other active shooter training that is available and gave us a short block on the tactical side of things.
We wrapped up the day with a member of the Evidence Response Unit giving us a presentation of the various tools they have at their disposal and how we can request their support. Some of their toys were quite impressive.

Day two started out with a brief segment covering the Strategic Information Operation Center and their role in these type of situations.

From there they brought in an Operation Psychologist to present a block on mental and emotional support for victims, their families, and first responders.
The final presentation dealt with explosive devices and a special emphasis was placed on this in light of current events. The agent leading this portion was very knowledgeable and proceeded to get down in the weeds a bit which was greatly appreciated by many. I personally feel that first responders are not sufficiently trained in terms of improvised explosive devices, I hope to set up some similar training here in my state.

The day was wrapped up with a short table top exercise and they brought in representatives from fire/EMS and the 911 side of the house. It was interesting to see various levels of capabilities and responses from the various members in attendance. I think this was an eye opening experience for many.

All in all, I have to say it was worth the time spent to attend. This training should be available across the country this summer and I would recommend attending if you can. The networking alone makes it worth the trip.[/quote]