Favorite Pistol Drills

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
What are your favorite pistol drills? I plan to make a .pdf that we can download, share and print off and throw in a range bag.

Post em up! If you have corresponding targets, please post those as well.

Ike

Sandstorm

Because, Science!
Staff member
A "fundamentals" drill that I've been doing for years is the 150 point 5, 5, and 5.

Target is a 25 yard pistol bull (B8 or B16). Round count is 15, line of fire is @ 15 yards.

Slow fire, 5 rounds each 2-handed, strong hand only, support hand only. Maximum of 150 pts, scoring by the bull values.

I usually do this drill in triplicate each range session (and calculate a stddev). I personally find that as my scores increase and are maintained with this drill, all my other shooting improves as this focus on fundamentals is a critical "mind-setter" for me. There are very few drills that I do every time I hit the range, this is one.

(credit: T.A.P.S. volume one by Patrick Mcnamara, 2008, second edition)

Lampshade

I work at a gun shop, we have a range attached to us so it is very easy to get a little practice time here and there, and this is the informal test we shoot about once a week.
It is nice because it doesn't take very long, only takes 25 rounds, and is very easy to score.

Target is a Troubleshooter Handgun, but it could be shot on any 1" grid / bullseye, and it consists of 4 strings of fire.

1. 7 rounds, two handed @ 15 yards, no time limit.
2. 6 rounds strong hand @ 10 yards, no time limit.
3. 6 rounds @ 10 yards, as fast as possible.
4. 6 rounds @ 7 yards, drawing from the holster for each shot

Scoring is
1" radius from center of target = 5pts
from 1" line to 2" line = 3pts
from 2" line to 3" line =2pts
from 3" line to 6" line = 1pt
Outside 6" = 0.

Max = 125pts
Good = 100
Passing = 80

Doing it consistently at least once a workweek has forced me to learn, adjust and relearn my weapon and sights as needed, and gives me a consistent baseline to measure against.
Test day is Tuesday, loser buys tacos.

Nitrider

Four Aces by Ben Stoeger.

Use one IDPA or USPSA Metric target at your desired distance. (Keep it close if you want to emphasize reload speed, move it back if you want to emphasize a clean and stable transition back to sights.)

Draw, fire two shots (A zone), reload, fire two shots (A zone).

Westie47

I always start with the Dot Torture Test and Vickers' Test when I hot the range, I also like to do the Redback One Operator Readiness Test.

I have an Army green notebook full of drills that I have picked up in various training courses (.mil/LEO/ civilian sector). I will not bore you guys with all of them, nor do I think there is enough space on this thread for all of them. I will keep it to only my favorite drills.

Note: Typically, the first time I do a drill I do it as it is supposed to be shot. However, I normally change it (add distance, reduce target size, reduce par time, shoot it SHO or WHO etc ) to add difficulty and push myself.

I will update this post from time to time with other drills. Specifically, when I have my note book in front of me.

50rd Time Crunch Drill (KD4)

Target: 6-8” circle

Distances: 7yds and 25yds

Rounds fired: 50

Strings:

1: Draw and fire 10rds freestyle from 25yds

2: Draw and fire 1rd x 10reps freestyle at 7yds

3: Draw fire one/ reload/ fire one x 5 reps freestyle at 7yds

4: Draw and fire 5rds freestyle x 4 reps at 7yds

Bill Drill #2

Target: IDPA (8” circle)

Distance: 7yds (all strings)

Rounds fired: 15rds

Scoring: +.5 sec for each point down

Time: Aggregate of all strings and penalties

Good shooters should be able to complete in 10 seconds or less

Strings:

1: Draw and fire 1

2: Draw and fire 2

3: Draw and fire 3

4: Draw and fire 4

5: Draw and fire 5

SCSU74

I find dot torture to be a good warmup, hits on a variety of different skills. I really like it when limited on ammo (we are only issued 50 rds a month). I also like the FAST test as it incorporates a draw from retention and a mag change all under time. Pistol training is a great resource with a lot of free targets, I usually print a few out each time I go to the range.

Another target that has helped me personally is basically a vertical black rectangle with a white stripe down the middle. I have trigger control issues that creep up resulting in left of center hits. When I take my time and focus with this target it helps me isolate the trigger and brings my rounds back center. I start close at 3 yds and eventually back the target out after running it clean.

FAST target:
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/fast-target.pdf

Dot torture TDA:
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TDA-Dot-Torture-target.pdf

Dot torture DAO:
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf