Eye Pro for Dummies

PatMcG

When it comes to eye pro I've always just used the Oakley shades I happen to be wearing. I've got an indoor range close I'm going to be rolling to in the winter and figure getting some quality clear eye pro is in order. Is it Rudy and Oakley only or are there others to consider? Any that don't work well with ear muff style hearing protection? Also would snapping a set of clear lenses into the Oakley flak jackets or half jackets I already have be a legit option. I don't need prescription lenses but feel free to add that info for the benefit of others.
(Yes, I watched the modcast)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcdgrips

I have used to be a dyed in the wool Oakley guy with the original M series. I have since moved on to the ESS Cross Bow series. The 2x model allows me to keep both a clear and shade sets ready to go without having to swap out lenses. Their ear pieces ( both standard and thin) play well with my hearing protection. Note, ESS is owned by Oakley, is avail at a sig LEO/GOVT/MIL discount and pass various ANSI and Mil Spec impact standards unlike some Oakleys to include my Original M-Series.

KMo1205

I came across this "study" a while ago and thought it was interesting. I wouldn't bet the farm on it but they bring up some points I hadn't thought of, like why eye-pro really matters. Their experiment favored one piece lenses like the Revision Sawfly and some of the Smith Optics. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/

I personally use the Revision Sawfly and have multiple lenses that I switch out for indoor or outdoor. They are not stylish and can dig into my ears when I'm wearing ear-pro all day, but they meet the requirements for military eye-pro. The rest of the approved eye wear can be found here: http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

PatMcG

In regards to the ESS Crossbow any experience with lense shades other than clear and grey?

PatMcG

Good to know. I just ordered the 2x kit with that and clear.