Experiences with ALG 6SM

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
How easy is it to remove the slide for field stripping with this installed?

I have a G4 22 and of course all my suppressors are in 9mm. So I would love to swap between barrels for various uses, especially since I get 50 rounds of .40 a month from work for training.

Rilimva

Amateur
How easy is it to remove the slide for field stripping with this installed?

I have a G4 22 and of course all my suppressors are in 9mm. So I would love to swap between barrels for various uses, especially since I get 50 rounds of .40 a month from work for training.

As easy as it is without the mount, however for your application you need to think about the slide to be used will have to have the rear sight removed.

I'm a huge fan of the 6SM. Mine is on a G22 with a comped KKM barrel for when I want to get my ass kicked in USPSA open by guys with purpose built open guns. More importantly, POA/POI shift is negligible at 25m with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel. I've shot it to 200+ on IPSC steel without any difficulty. I have not had to change the ejector housing or any other parts to make it run in 9mm.

I have holsters from both OTG and Advanced Holsters. The OTG is more solid and rugged, but the Advanced Holster mounts on safariland 3hole pattern accessories.

This gun is incredibly impractical for daily concealed carry, but as a bedside gun/range toy, it's the shit.

The non reciprocating dot allows you to run the gun incredibly fast and the forward mounting of the optic makes picking it up under NODs very easy.

Playing around with the 6SM today, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the 19/23 frame. The new light rail will extend past the frame, but that shouldn't effect anything. Perhaps if you were to use the exposed rail as a hammer it might cause a POI shift.

If I ever come across a bare 19 slide or a buy a new 19, I will try it out.

Rilimva

Amateur
I have had some time now to play with the mount and a Advanced Holsters holster for this setup.

Notes:
In the rain and in the holster, raindrops accumulate on the lens and make long distance shots a tad more difficult, so i ended up wiping the lens just before starting the timer.

Being used to a 6354DO, the Advanced holster doesn't give me the same bomb proof feel, although I haven't lost my gun or had any issues with running, jumping over obstacles etc, but looking forward to other holster options.

More time with the mount is also revealing that distance shooting is where it really shines, but close range work is still significantly slower for me, so need to focus on my draw speed with the mount.

grunz

I have the ALG mount and a T1 on a Gen 4 G17 and have a few hundred rounds through it. Here are my impressions based on how I shot the gun so far, which was static at ranges out to about 60 yards in daylight.

1) The T1 improves acuracy and ease of shooting at distance - particularly over 25 yards as there is much less eye strain. I got decent hits on 6" plates at 60 yards first time out and the misses were close. :) Groups at 10 and 25 yards are smaller too - and just easier. You could argue this makes a G17 almost AK47 accurate inside 100 yards.
2) Once you pick up the dot it makes target to target transitions easier and faster - think plate rack or dualing tree type situation. Its nice how the dot stays put on recoil.
3) Picking up the dot on presentation is slower for me now vs irons, but adding a cut down smallest Glock Gen 4 OEM backstap made it easier as the glock points more naturally.
4) I feel like the T1 gives me better visibility of the target area than irons as I dont have to focus on the front sight.
5) FYI - this gadget replaces the glock backplate and restores your ability to rack the slide off a belt etc and is easier to remove when needing to service the gun - so far so good. https://www.wrightshooting.com/tacrack-.html It also looks fucking cool like an MP7 charging handle - so natually the chicks dig it.

Finally, I weighed the G17 with the ALG mount, the T1 a Surefire X300 and no mag it came in at 33oz which is 6oz less than an empty 1911. Yay technology!

Rilimva

Amateur
Has anyone got a good solution for rear lens cover?

Could something like an Aimpoint T2 rear lens cover fit on a T1 on the ALG mount, or any other solution for the rear lens?

Rilimva

Amateur
Read the recoil article on 6SM holsters, and the Raven options defiantly seems to be the one, but I spoke to Raven and it is still in development, so if anyone else wants one let them know so it will hit the market sooner rather than later!

(My current holster is fine, but not the bomb proof type, where as the "bucket of justice" seem to be a lot closer to the bomb proof end of the scale)