Experiences with ALG 6SM

Rilimva

Amateur
I have been turning the interwebs upside down since I first saw the ALG Defense 6 Second Mount previewed at SHOT several years ago. Since I still don't know of any good resources for info on it I thought I would start this thread where Ill share my experience with the mount.

The 6SM is attached my to Gen 3 G17 RTF2 G17, sporting a 4MOA T1, SF X300U and a Sentinel Designs magwell, other than a 3.5# connector the internals are stock.

I have a small number of rounds through a Unity equipped G17 w/Deltapoint, other than that red dots on handguns is a pretty new thing to me.

Installing:
The mount had a very snug fit, I stippled my frame heavily and therefore the forward thumb pads were even tighter than a stock glock, but snug should be good for keeping zero.

The SF X300U is now also way tighter fitting and almost no wobble even with the universal mount attached to the 6SM.

On my slide i punched the rear sight off and did a quick fitment check, everything seemed fine. However my front sight (Warren fiber front) was too big I discovered after my first live fire session. As I inspected the mount I found a decent dent in the mount from the front sight as the slide moves further rearwards during recoil than it does at slide stop (where I tested it before shooting) so case in point: steel front sight 1- 0 aluminum mount.

image_zpsnn3kbixb.jpg

Shooting:
I zeroed the T1 benching the gun on a small bean bag @25m, I moved foward to 10 and 15 to test some more, and I seemed to notice a slight shift in POI vs POA/POI @25, might be me, some if the offset of optic and bore, but not as much as I saw, will have to shoot more to see before I can say more.

image_zpsxswhpgzu.jpg

Holsters:
The reason I liked the Unity setup was the availability of holsters, and specifically my favorite the Safariland 6354DO, so far the only option seems to be Off the Grid Concepts for the 6SM.
OTG has published the possibility of doing a level 1 retention holster for the 6SM, I hope they do as I need the active retention to cover all of my uses.

General observations:
I have previously tried to point my "other strong hand" thumb towards the target, but sometimes it slips and point slightly upwards while resting at on the front thumb pad, now with the mount installed my thumb stays put as the mount prevents my thumb from moving upwards.

However on the right hand side of the mount, the point attached to the trigger guard pin interferes with my trigger finger, it rubs my finger, maybe just a new piece of my hand that needs hardening or I need to change the angle my trigger finger interfaces the trigger, will have to see.

So far a little more than 100rds with the mount, will update as a continue to shoot with it.

K Williams

Rilimva, my experiences echo yours exactly. I also had 3 malfunctions (stovepipes) due to the front sight striking the mount and the slide not being able to travel its normal course.

I posted this on LF:
Some initial thoughts on the 6SM now that I've got mine mounted and played with it.
1. No rear sight makes single handed weapons manipulations near impossible. Can't rack slide off pants leg or use optic for that purpose (since it's fixed). I could mount a cheap rear back into the dovetail for this purpose, but would have to remove it prior to removing slide for cleaning (which is every few thousand rounds anyways).

2. The light sits lower on the frame of the pistol obviously. I typically activate constant on with my trigger finger coming out of the holster. Not able to do easily with the 6SM at all, training issue.

3. Mounting the 6SM is a semi perm deal and not feasible to think you are going to leave your rear sight on and remove the mount whenever you need to get into the frame.

Very well made and light weight. I understand who/purpose this was built for and that my issues may not be a big deal. I'll get some live fire with this setup soon. Looking forward to some holsters for this and RCS's micro mount being released as well.

N

nate89

Thanks for the info. My initial impression was this would be a great addition to a gun kept by the bed, but not really carried around regularly. Hopefully I'll find one and get to try it out sometime.

K Williams

So after a few days of dry fire and working with this, the 6SM is starting to grow on me (only had 1 day live fire so far but heading to shoot this week).

Something I noticed regarding pressing out and not having the dot (due to the tube being slightly canted one way or another). As long as I have the target in the window (ie. chest centered in the T1's tube), it's going to be a hit (ie 6" circle) out to about 10-12 yards.

Quite similar to deliberately misaligning your iron sight picture (left, right, up, down) and being within a fist size group as long as you are driving the front sight post to center of the target.

Going to validate this live fire this week as well and get some comparison data on the shot timer.

Rilimva

Amateur
I got some more trigger time today, as well as several of my friends, some shooting more plain glocks, other shooting tricked out HK USP's...all turned to me with a big smile and said "I need one of these now"

Working on smaller targets for the moment, so did a TMACS Grid of fire but with heads shots, tracking the dot with a target focus was very pleasant.

Update on the holster situation: Off the grid have released one version of their 6SM holster for sale, and another manufacturer: Advanced Holsters is also bringing a version to market, designed to fit a G17, fitted win the 6SM, KKM comp and SFx300U, that is the holster I am currently waiting for, will report back when I get it.

Rilimva

Amateur
Although mine is a Gen 3 and they list it as a Gen 3 accessory I have seen and read of several others that have made it work on a gen 4.

Rilimva

Amateur
Put another 500 rounds through the gun (yeah sorry, need to shoot this gun more)

I have tried to stretch the distance with my irons before and have gotten consistent hits to 60m (first round hits) with a stock barrel. I have always wanted to tick off the 100m shot with a pistol.

Today a buddy and I ran a walk back drill on a BC zone piece of steel, he ran a stock Gen 4 G17 w/Glock night sights. Out to 50m we both had first round hits, but for 50 and out my buddy fell off, I managed to keep going and scored a first round hit at 100m! The ability to see the entire target really helps.
I have a match KKM barrel on order, which I hope will help me out at distance (but yeah its mostly the indian not the arrow)

Still waiting on my holster, but should be inbound any day now...

Rilimva

Amateur
The frame is wider on the G20, so don't think you'll have any luck bending the alu mount, but if the G17 mount sold well enough, ALG would bring it to other guns as well.

Lobsterclaw207

The frame is wider on the G20, so don't think you'll have any luck bending the alu mount, but if the G17 mount sold well enough, ALG would bring it to other guns as well.

How about the G22? Aren't the G17 and G22 dimensionally identical or am I smoking crack?

Rilimva

Amateur
Did some more shooting today. The impact shift I mentioned earlier might have been grip, today I removed the grip force adapter as I have been consistently hitting low, GFA removed and issue seems solved.

Will have to do some work to confirm but seems to echo DocGKR in that the same gun with and without an optic might be setup different for best performance (I recall he changed his grip and trigger length on a 1911 for RDS use)

Lobsterclaw207

22,34,35,17 all good to go. I think I even saw Steve fisher attach one to the new long slide 45 (G41 I think)

Sweet, thanks.

What's the ramp all about on the front? To keep potential debris off the front window on the sight or something?

Question #2 which I think I know the answer to.... this only works with Aimpoint T-1/H-1/T-2 correct?

Rilimva

Amateur
Sweet, thanks.

What's the ramp all about on the front? To keep potential debris off the front window on the sight or something?

Question #2 which I think I know the answer to.... this only works with Aimpoint T-1/H-1/T-2 correct?

Blast shield for the optic, can be handy if you run a compensator.

As other have mentioned, there has been sighting of an RMR attached, ATEi will have better answers.

RangerRed

Sweet, thanks.

A Geissele rep stated on arfcom that there would be mounts made for other price as well as an adapter for the 6SM to fit other MRDS. I don't know when any of that will occur but ALG is looking at manufacturing different options.