EOTech HWS

Jeff82

Has difficulty with months.
Do the new EO's have the same problem as the older one's or have they fixed them?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jeff82

Has difficulty with months.
I'm asking because I'm getting a refund for a 552 I turned in and I need a replacement. The reticle is great, I hate losing it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

JRude

Amateur
The Sig Romeo series of optics has the ability to switch reticles from the standard 2 moa dot to a circle dot eotech style reticle. I haven't had extensive use of one but tried it out in the Sig master rifle instructor class and I liked it very much. They are also very inexpensive, under $300 inexpensive. With a mount.

I switched my eotech out for a micro T1 and it took no time at all to get accustomed to it. However, the reticle is a horrible amorphous blob under magnification, if that matters to you. It's not a smear, or two dots, or a comet, it's shaped like a cartoon starfish after a car accident. This wouldn't mater on an entry gun, but I have it on a nice 18" recce that is a do It all rifle for me.

The a answer for me will be a 1-6 ish variable, which will be off the administrative no-go list soon.

Our guys really like the Trijicon MRO and Aimpoint PRO, both are around the same as the eotech price range. I would definitely not buy a T1 over an MRO for an additional $200 and zero increase in capability or size/ weight savings.

Arete

@ Jeff82 - given the extent of the fraud committed by EO (do yourself a favor and read the charging docs filed by the US Gov in which they detail all the issues), why would you believe anything they have to say about the performance of their products at this point? I used to use EO (a Rev F 552), primarily due to the reticle, but switched to AP and learned that I didn't miss the circle/dot reticle at all. Plus, I get 28 months out of a CR2032 battery leaving a T1 on position 9/12, never turning it off. I've done this twice now. Get yourself a H1/T1 or H2/T2 on a good mount and be done with it.

@ JRude - the aimpoint dots are round. If they appear other than that, you likely have astigmatism. I do, and I certainly do not see a round dot when using APs with 2, 3, and 4 moa dots. The only dots that look round to me are 7 moa and larger dots (AP C3 7moa, Cmore 8 moa). Regardless, I have no problem hitting Salute EAG/10-8 steel at 200 yards with a Colt 6920, PMC 55 grn, and all these optics, with and w/o a 3x AP magnifier: ML2, H1, T1 4 moa, T1 2 moa, PRO.

Incidentally, my astigmatism caused me to see a blob/fuzzy EO reticle, too.

From Aimpoint's FAQ on their webpage:

The dot in my Aimpoint sight doesn't look round. Is it defective?

If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:

Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)

While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.

If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.

If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

JRude

Amateur
Unfortunately I have a bushnell trs25 on an airsoft gun that is perfectly round under magnification and so was my eotech. If it isn't magnified It doesn't matter. When magnified I just have to pick a point on the blob for aiming. Thanks though.

I agree with you about the eotech fraud. Anybody who intentionally deceives military special missions units about life saving equipment should be pout of business.

TSiWRX

The magnifier can also cause issues -

I have astigmatism that's bad enough that all RDSs, including those of the holographic variety, are blurred/streaked/comets.

I can use a variable diopter magnifier to "dial-out" some of that blurriness.

TSiWRX

Arrgh...my computer's internet connection had a hiccup, and I was unable to return in-time to edit the post above...

Note that depending on your eyesight, you may be more or less successful in using the diopter adjustment to help with astigmatism. For me, it helps quite a bit, but my astigmatism is severe enough that I will still see a streak, no matter what.

Arete

I used to worry about seeing a blob due to my astigmatism, but regardless of that, I can routinely shoot 1" groups at 50, headshots on IPSC cardboard at 100, and chest hits on Salute EAG/10-8 at 200, so I learned it's not a problem.

Default.mp3

Established
The Aimpoint T-2 looks far better under a magnifier than the T-1; my T-1 looks pretty shit when used in conjunction with a G33, but the T-2 is fairly round and crisp. I've been told that the T-2 looks better under a magnifier than even the M4 or M4S.

If you really want the ring reticle, and are feeling adventurous, another option is the Shield SIS, although it's not a solid ring:
1-MOA-Ring.png

2-MOA-rING.png

2-MOA-Ring-BD.png

JRude

Amateur
As a follow up necro post, I checked out an aimpoint t2 the other day with my magnifier and it had the most perfect reticle possible. Very very nice.