Electronic Ear Protection

SMJayman

I'm currently using Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Muffs. They work OK, but these are starting to get pretty beat up. (Weekly range sessions, 18+ weeks of range instructor/master work takes a toll.) I'm wondering if I should just replace them with the same model, or if there's something better out there? I'm not averse to spending more coin if the end result is worth it.

JCSpringer

For the money the Howard lights are tough to beat. I got a pair of MSA Sordin after killing 2 sets of Pelton 6s'. I upgraded them with the silicon gel ear cups. I was told that the silicon is a medical grade and similar to that used in breast implants. So everything I put them on I smile.

I picked up a pair of Sordins a few years ago and they have to date far out preformed the peltors I have. They don't eat the batteries and they have great pickup.

earthquake

Amateur
I've been using the electronic in-ear plug style now for a year and am sold on them. I use the Etymotic Research EB15LE's. I really like the adaptive attenuation in that they are not simply "on" or "off". They actively attenuate noise only when the dB approaches dangerous levels, starting above 70 dB and then you get 35-40 dB reduction in "blast" mode where they do completely seal out noise.

No heavy muffs to wear down on your head during a long day, no sweating, no interference with cheek/stock weld etc. They run on hearing-aid batteries and come with a multitude of plug inserts for different sized ear canals. I can't say enough about them! They were at a big PRS match recently and reduced the price on the EB15 and GunsSportPRO (same items) and have a 15% discount going on now through some time in August: JP22015 over on their website, http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/eb15le.html

In talking with them, they are really interested in working with mil/LE and supporting Veterans. They are also working on some in the future that could integrate comms. Check 'em out, good stuff for sure.

Default.mp3

Established
Note that the plug-style ear pro does not completely protect your hearing, due to bone conduction issues; muffs alone do a better job, due to the greater external coverage, though obviously doubling up would be best.

Dr. No

Sordins with the gel cups. You can get the military commo set and cut off all the cables and get into a pair for $150. Pretty cheap, super comfy.

Default.mp3

Established
No heavy muffs to wear down on your head during a long day, no sweating, no interference with cheek/stock weld etc. They run on hearing-aid batteries and come with a multitude of plug inserts for different sized ear canals. I can't say enough about them! They were at a big PRS match recently and reduced the price on the EB15 and GunsSportPRO (same items) and have a 15% discount going on now through some time in August: JP22015 over on their website, http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/eb15le.html
Oh, and also, the Etymotic HD•15 can be found on Promotive.

PlasticMag

Amateur
Whatever you go with, double up. I wear Surefire EP3s with Peltors, and frankly I've lost so much of my hearing that I'm paranoid that I'm not wearing enough! I've had good luck with the Peltor 6S paired with the Surefires if you don't want commo capability.

Caomhin

My Sordins are shit. Who can I send them to? They constantly turn themselves off and beep as if I have a weak battery when the batteries are new.

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

SRS tactical is the shit. They fixed up an old set of Pelters in two days and the price was very right. Because I like redundancy, I bought a set of regular MSA Supreme Pro's for next to the bed. I can definitely tell a difference between them and the TCI DEHP unit. DHEP is much better audio quality, and the attack and release of the audio is much quicker. I'm glad I have a TCI set, because a second set is pretty steep, but I would definitely recommend the TCI's if you want top notch.

earthquake

Amateur
Bone conduction is a myth. I've spent a lot of time talking to audiologists etc, and from first hand experience with the in-ear style, there is better protection with the plugs properly seated. You would have to surround your entire skull with a helmet to prevent bone conduction....think about it.

SRS tactical is the shit. They fixed up an old set of Pelters in two days and the price was very right. Because I like redundancy, I bought a set of regular MSA Supreme Pro's for next to the bed. I can definitely tell a difference between them and the TCI DEHP unit. DHEP is much better audio quality, and the attack and release of the audio is much quicker. I'm glad I have a TCI set, because a second set is pretty steep, but I would definitely recommend the TCI's if you want top notch.

Agreed Dan on the redundancy etc., as I've been running a set of Sord Pro-X's (OTH) since 2008 thanks to some friends named Rogers & Heuser.

Added the DEHP's (BTH) in 2013 when they ran a sale, certainly can tell the difference, very sim. to your experience w/ them.

Caomhin

Okay, I'm a bit confused.

What is DEHP?

What is TCI?

Is this SRS Tactical's upgrades to the Sordins or is this something for Peltors??

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

DEHP = Digitally Enhanced Hearing Protection, earpro only made by TCI.

TCI = Tactical Command Industries, now part of the Safariland corporate group.

No connection between Safariland & SRS that I am aware of. IMO SRS is where I will turn for repairs & sales but as always YMMV.

TCI= Tactical Command Industries, now a part of Safariland group. High end commo and hearing protection

DEHP= a TCI product, Digital Electronic Hearing Protection. Probably the best of the pack in clarity, response, and build out of all of the hearing protection makers. They rework MSA Sordin products with better electronics, and also engineer some of their own stuff. I miss when they were their own company; they were cheaper, but I don't have any complaints with them now.

HAH! Old Runner beat me by seconds...

TCI= Tactical Command Industries, now a part of Safariland group. High end commo and hearing protection

DEHP= a TCI product, Digital Electronic Hearing Protection. Probably the best of the pack in clarity, response, and build out of all of the hearing protection makers. They rework MSA Sordin products with better electronics, and also engineer some of their own stuff. I miss when they were their own company; they were cheaper, but I don't have any complaints with them now.

HAH! Old Runner beat me by seconds...

This agreed 100% particularly the last sentence > "Probably the best of the pack in clarity, response, and build out of all of the hearing protection makers. They rework MSA Sordin products with better electronics, and also engineer some of their own stuff. I miss when they were their own company; they were cheaper, but I don't have any complaints with them now."

earthquake

Amateur
I misspoke above. Bone induction is not a myth, what is wrong is thinking that an ear-muff/cup style protector, "protects" your hearing from bone induction. As I stated, you would need a helmet covering your entire skull to prevent it. A quick and interesting experiment showing this is to apply some kind of vibration to your head just behind the ear. You can use a vibratory neck massager or tuning fork. Stick your finger in your ear as you apply the device and you will notice the sound get louder. Then, do the same thing with a plug properly inserted and the sound is reduced.