EDC Everyday Carry Gear

What’s your most carried gear?

Yes, this topic is beat to death, because pictures of “pocket dumps” are easy and fun. But I’m also hoping some positive discussion and learning can stem from it.

I have several firearms I switch between depending on my attire and the context of what I’m doing. For a long time a carry “rotation” has been discouraged, as training and becoming comfortable with one gun has its advantages. We’ve all heard the old adage, “beware the man with one gun (because he probably knows how to use it!)” And for military personnel, law enforcement, or other professions that require the same daily uniform, or allow you to “dress around the gun” I think that’s still probably sound advice.
I’m an average citizen, who wears different clothing in different social settings every day. So having a variety of different sizes and shapes of useful tools appeals to me. Here are some of my most carried items: IMG_2144.jpeg

I've had a lot of change over the years as my requirements (real or perceived) have shifted. At my peak, it was a G34+ACRO+X300U carried in a Bawidamann Gotham v2, spare magazine with a +5 extension in a Snake Eater Tactical IWB pouch, S&W 351C in a Galco Ankle Glove, POM pepper spray, Modlite OKW 18350 handheld, PHLster ankle medical kit, Victorinox Tinker, and chapstick, all supported by a Magpul Tejas. Later I removed the WML and carried in a KSG Armory Halcyon or Lexington. A fixed blade knife very briefly made an appearance in a few forms, but quickly got dropped due to my lack of skill in the subject, and wanting one less thing to manage.
I still got pretty good concealment due to reasonable clothing choices and my build, enough that multiple dates didn't notice the gun without physical contact.

Of course there has been a middle ground, and a work-up to the peak of my carry. Beretta 92, CZ P-07, S&W Shield, G42, G26, Px4C, G19, G17, 640, etc. There was a lot of "Well X is almost as big as Y, so I might as well just carry Y!". There was also a long period of "fuck it, just throw the J-Frame on, if it's my time then oh well" during more hectic times of my life.

More recently I'm either carrying the 351C in a Harry's Holsters Icon 2.0 while out, or in my pocket using a Safariland M25 while at home, or a Smith & Wesson Shield Plus in 30SC in a JMCK AIWB Wing/Claw 2.0.
The airweight J-Frame is an easy carry option, extremely shootable, and even more concealable. Not a big fan of the Enigma, though it gets pulled out a couple times a year for tucked shirt carry (weddings, funerals, etc). Pocket carry isn't something I use much due to wardrobe choices, but it is an easy way to stay armed around the house in shorts/sweats/pajamas. This is the "Rule 1" gun, and carrying it can drive changes to my tactics and mindset, though getting home is always my top concern.
The Shield Plus started as a project to check out 30SC. After proving reliable and my own ballistics testing giving me a good carry load, I am pretty happy with 16+1 rounds in a gun smaller than a G48. I'm carrying virtually an equivalent load to my G17 in a far easier package to carry and conceal. Definitely a little more confidence than 7 rounds of 22WMR, but not the burden of a full size Glock in my pants.

Sure, guns aren't supposed to be comfortable, but my patience for a big honkin gun has waned over the years. Especially as my ability to carry regularly has decreased due to work, reducing familiarity of feeling. Less discomfort frees up mental energy to focus elsewhere, my performance isn't dramatically reduced, plus I remain armed with fairly capable tools.

I build my kit around 1) ease of carry 2) discreetness of carry, 3) how well I shoot the gun.

A J frame (442 or 640) either in a pocket using a Nemesis, or IWB in a Safariland 27-01 ahead of the hip is very common for me. When I left the house today it was with a 442 in the Safariland rig, two extra rounds in one of Cecil Burch's loops from Dark Star, a Zeta 6 5 holes strip with four rounds inserted in the the non-dominant side pants pocket, and an HKS speedload in the dominant side pocket of the windbreaker I wore. I don't do full on AIWB because I am terribly short waisted and nothing much larger than a derringer is comfortable. An LCR 22 carried in a Bladetch Klipit gets a lot of use from me lately with 8 rounds in a Tuff strip spaced 2-2-4 in the pants pocket and a Five Star speed loader in the windbreaker pocket.

I used either an S&W 6906 or Sig P239, both 9mm, as a primary carry for many years usually in leather OWB. As I got older and dressing down more, a simple kydex IWB works well for them, both from Bare Arms. An airweight J frame on an ankle or in a pocket when I felt the need and good to go.

I largely replaced those with an M&P 2.0 Compact in 2018. The compact is a very handy gun that I shoot very well and is easy to carry but since I moved to NE Wyoming 3 years ago the only time I carry it is on long road trips to the big city.

I carry a folding knife. Kershaw Blur, and a POM OC faithfully... just like my gun I do not leave home without them. I've also used a TDI Investigator fixed blade, but the folder is more familiar for me from years of use.

It is. perhaps, an unpopular opinion but based on some of the pocket dump photos I've seen over the years I think some people in the private person / civilian defender space are carrying too much stuff.

JimH

EDC. Most of the time it's the LCR in a Bianchi 152. These are cool little holsters, but are not made anymore. If anyone knows of one for sale molded to a right hand LCR or Jframe, please let me know. Otherwise, a G19 in a Galco Fletch. TQs and folded NAR guaze go in the back pocket.
edc.jpg