Duty belt comparison

Ski85

I'm in the market to replace my duty belt and I'm finally looking to make the switch to a cobra buckle.

The Ares belt seems to be considered by many to be the gold standard. I'm also seeing good things about the duty belts from Jones Tactical. The price point on the Jones is more attractive but the lead times are pretty excessive (advertised 7+ weeks), as compared to a more reasonable (3 weeks approx.) from Ares.

Essentially, can anyone comment from experience as to how they stack up against each other? Is there really that much if a difference between them to justify the price difference?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have run an Ares duty belt for multiple years. I couldn't be happier. I understand Jones designs are knockoffs of Ares. (I am friends with Ares and I am biased)

Grayman

Established
Do you have any uniform restrictions regarding molle? There are some interesting Micro-battle belts out there if you can go away from the traditional duty belt design

Ski85

We get away with a lot when it comes to uniform restrictions. That being said, I prefer a traditional style duty belt for patrol work.

I ended up ordering the Ares gear belt (outer and inner). It showed up today and I'm putting it through its first shift right now. It's incredibly stiff, which I like for holding gear, it does cut in to me a little. I'm still fine tuning everything with it though and I have no doubt that once it breaks in a little this will be a very comfortable belt.

weaver1032

I don't know how I missed this thread, but you will not be disappointed by the Ares Gear belt. It seems everyone in my area wears the Accumold belts which are marginal. I never found them stiff enough and the edges wear and they end up looking like shit with any time on them especially if using pouches other than Accumold pouches. I've been wearing an Ares Gear belt for over 18 months now. I also switched to all Safariland pouches in their STX Tactical construction and couldn't be happier. The pouches are sturdy and won't collapse and have no noticeable wear after 18 months of urban policing.

The belt took me some time to get it fitted exactly how I wanted it. Once I got it adjusted correctly, I used some friction tape to keep the loose end out of the way. I get no soreness at all in my hips even after wearing it for as long as 18-20hrs. The belt is still stiff and sturdy and bears the gear very well. I've never experienced any of the cutting in that others have complained about, which is odd since I'm fat. I won't go back to a generic duty belt.

Ski85

After a little bit of adjustment throughout the shift today I think I got it where I like it. The cutting in was mostly from wearing the inner belt a little too tight. I was used to inner belts that had more give and needed to be piled tighter. Now that I've got it adjusted I'm loving it.

RPD01

Amateur
Any opinions on the Volund Duty/Micro Battle belts? After months of browbeating admin to allow something other than basket weave, I'm in the market for a new duty belt.
Was (and still am) leaning heavily towards the Ares Gear duty belt but a co-worker found the Volund belt and since I have not experience with any of their belts, I thought I would ask here.