Defoor Proformance 2-Day Pistol 6/1-6/2/2023 Shelbyville, IN

Brad Trittipo

Defoor Proformance 2-Day Pistol 2023

On June 1st and 2, 2023 I hosted Kyle Defoor of Defoor Proformance at the Shelby County FOP in Shelbyville, IN for the third time. Defoor 2 Day Pistol includes pistol work from 7-50 yards. B-8 repair centers and reduced A-Zone IPSC targets are the preferred targets and 1000 rounds are suggested for the class. Students must be proficient with a pistol and safe on the range to attend. The class has no restrictions on pistols or carry methods except for no SERPAs or soft nylon holsters. You must have the ability to carry multiple magazines while on the range reliably. 15 students including myself attended. Students were a mix of common earth people and first responders; I believe 5 were first-time students with Kyle. Pistols ranged from Glock, Staccatos, and Sig 320s to a Chambers 1911. The class was red dot heavy with a variety of optics.

TD-1

TD 1 was high 80’s, light breeze but low humidity. After the safety brief TD1 starts with evaluating the students' abilities and zeros. Groups are shot from the 25-yard line on B-8 repair centers. As you progress through the exercise you are encouraged to increase the difficulty of the exercise by adding increased speed and tighter accuracy standards. Next students work on practical drills to learn Kyle’s techniques, and self-evaluation by the students to determine which techniques work best for them. Ranges vary from 25 yards to 7. We shot between 300 and 500 rounds each on TD1. TD-1 ended with Kyle’s mindset talk. Class ran from 0800-1700. No breaks and no lunchtime other than to load mags and change targets.

TD-2

TD2 saw highs in the low 90s, but there was a breeze and no humidity. TD2 starts with combatives and blade familiarization. Different techniques are utilized to increase the student’s effectiveness in hand-to-hand engagement with minimal effort to stay effective. Introduction to proper use of a blade is included in the combatives portion along with proper selection of a blade. The combatives in this class were slightly longer due to extra work completed on TD1. After combatives we moved onto shooting from the 50-yard line, multiple target engagements, shooting on the move, and ended with the shooting test better known as the hat qual. TD 2 round count is between 300 and 500 rounds. The class ran from 0800-1600. No breaks, no lunchtime other than to load mags and change targets.

A School Resource Officer earned the one and only hat in this class by running his issued Sig Sauer 320 with RDS. He ran his vest and Blackhawk Optic duty holster and duty belt the entire class, very impressive. I believe we had 3 more very close to earning a hat, including one female student running a Glock 43 with iron sights. Lessons were learned, shooters improved, and bodies were pushed to exhaustion. Good times.

My Experience

This class I ran my Gen 4 Glock 19 with Zev mag well, MOS slide, factory barrel, Holosun 407C, C&H Precision OG metal plate, and factory trigger. Magazines were a mix of 19 and 17 factory and MagPul standard capacity. I used a nylon duty belt with Safariland 6360 holster to mimic my duty holster but allow the use of an RDS. Personally, I have seen an improvement during the last 3 years while hosting Defoor 2-Day Pistol. The first year my accuracy was horrible and nowhere near the class standard. The 2nd year my accuracy improved but I was floored by my accuracy at 50 yards. My accuracy at 50 had suffered over the years but the technique taught during the class finally clicked. This year I was able to use my experience from past classes and put it to work right away. The B8’s pictured are a sample from the 25 yard evaluations on TD1. I was chasing the 7’s and misses just off target the entire time at 25. The rest of the day shooting was from the 7 and I was satisfied with my accuracy.

The shooting portion of TD2 starts at 50. My accuracy went from B8 size on TD1 to the entire IPSC target with complete target misses on TD2 at 50. I was confused about the sudden change and started diagnosing possible issues. After the 3rd string of fire, I gave the pistol a once over and shook the pistol to check for possible loose components and found the RDS moved on the plate. I left the line, added Blue Loctite gel to the threads, torqued the screws to spec using my Fix-It Sticks, and returned to the line. I finished my day with the results shown in the pictures with the times written on the IPSC targets. Not to Hat standards but close a couple of times. I am extremely happy with my times considering I was running a 6360 RDS holster with SLS, SLS Sentry, and ALS making it Level 4. The lesson reinforced this class, check your gear daily. I found myself not gripping the pistol consistently with my left hand, the Defoor techniques help to compensate along with getting more comfortable with RDS sighting techniques.

Issues This Class

The FOP lacked target stands for some time resulting in those who visited bringing what they had at home to hold targets. This resulted in lots of foreign material in the backstop ranging from plastic to steel. To remedy the issue the FOP had some metal target stands installed. The stands are a non-standard size resulting in having to improvise ways to hold their targets. Target backers are made for the target stands, but they are fiscally not an option for multiple-day high-round count classes. The only consistent way I could find to hold targets was to cut furring that would fit horizontally between the uprights. The IPSC target is stapled at the top of the head and the base of the target is placed in the bottom valley. Due to the size of the class I had to add stands to the permanent stand array. Due to the incline of the backstop, my target stands had to be propped up and secured with T-Stakes to make them stable. Due to the number of target changes, the stands were coming apart due to movement. Fighting the different stands was a consistent part of the class.

Kyle was concerned with the metal target stands when shooting multiple targets and shooting on the move due to the possibility of ricochets. We were able to complete this part of the training, but it was limited for safety.

Attachments

• IMG_9469.jpeg
    26.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9490.jpeg
    17.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9491.jpeg
    17.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9510.jpeg
    16.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9512.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9485.jpeg