Dan Wesson DWX: 1911/CZ-75 hybrid Fullsize and Compact

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A0A7E5C1-8197-4336-89D8-9845471AEB98.png

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/

It started as an experiment — a grand melding of Dan Wesson and CZ pistols. Borrowing the crisp single action fire control group of a DW 1911 and combining it with the ergonomics and capacity of a CZ, the resulting pistol emerged as something great.

Designed initially for competition use, the DWX has evolved into much more than that, with both full-size and compact variants. Its locked breech barrel system is simple, ditching the standard 1911 link system and using CZ-style takedown via the slide stop. The easier take-down will be familiar to any hammer-fired CZ owner, as is removing the Match-grade barrel due to the bushing-less barrel system that resembles a P-10 or P-09/P-07. Double-stack magazines boost the capacity of the full-size to 19+1 with flush bases, and many standard 1911 parts enable gunsmiths and competitive shooters to tune the X just the way they like it. Sights are easily customized, using a 1911-style dovetailed sight in the front and a CZ Shadow 2 style sight cut in the rear.

With the grip angle and contours that have made the CZ 75 a stand-out in the realm of pistol ergonomics, the DWX is a natural fit to most hands. The full-size DWX uses standard CZ 75 grips, while the compact DWX uses those from a 75 Compact. Corresponding magwells for the 75 series are compatible as well.
With so many ways to tune and customize, the DWX is sure to shine in USPSA Limited Division!

Full-size DWX pistols use a magazine based on the P-09/P-10 F, while compact variants use that of a 75 Compact.

7502369D-43B3-4552-AF1F-3E586E9CBB69.png

CZ ergonomics, capacity, and reliability, with a 1911 SAO trigger and thumb safety. With an MSRP of $1,800, this could be a real competitive threat to the relatively new duty-oriented 2011 market. Offering both a fullsize and compact variant (not pictured) means they’re angling this as both a competition and duty/carry gun. Something new and creative at the very least - Will be interesting to see what comes of it...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The more I look into this the more apparent it becomes - This is DW/CZ’s targeted attempt to take down the competition and duty 2011 manufacturers. And if it ends up being half as good of a gun as it sounds, it’s gonna be a lethal shot.

I will be very interested to see a 4” barreled compact optics-ready threaded barrel variant

JLL2013

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Let's not forget the Hudson H9 was everyone's darling and had tons of aftermarket support and development lined up...then flopped.
$1800 is still three times what most people (not P&S people) are going to spend. Making this "a thing" is a significant challenge in a market with plenty of traditional CZs and 2011s out there.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Fair points, though I’d argue the Hudson comparison isn’t quite fair on two counts - First, the H9 was a more original design that needed more development to get all the kinks worked out, whereas this pistol is at its core two halves of the two most popular and highly developed handgun platforms in history welded together. Secondly, Hudson was a fledgling company that was dependent on one single pistol as their sole product line and source of income, which was at least in part responsible for their ultimate failure - This pistol is backed by two well-established juggernaut companies that have the spare resources to develop, produce, and market a new product line that won’t drag them underwater should it not be as successful as they hope.

Not to mention based on the feature set and marketing they’re aiming squarely at the introductory production 2011 market, the closest competitor for which (the STI DVC-L) costs $1,200 more. And that’s before you factor in the cost of spare magazines, which you’ll be able to get for nearly half the price of any decent 2011 platform. As for the compact model, the only other pistol I can think of that is close to the same feature set is the Wilson Combat EDC X9, where there’s a nearly equivalent $1,000 difference in MSRP.

Of course admittedly I’ve never shot a DWX so I can’t say with certainty it is more reliable than a 2011 platform yet, but I’d be willing to bet the $1,200 difference it’s at the very least on par with a well-built 2011 if not better out of the box

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I don’t think they’re really going after people who already own a 2011 and plenty of magazines for it. I think they’re offering this to the people who want a 2011, but shy away due to the price point and associated reliability/tuning issues and magazine costs

David Mayeur

This interests me. Not because of the 2011 price point or assumed reliability issues, but because it takes P-09/P10F magazines.

user12358

Not to mention based on the feature set and marketing they’re aiming squarely at the introductory production 2011 market, the closest competitor for which (the STI DVC-L) costs $1,200 more. And that’s before you factor in the cost of spare magazines, which you’ll be able to get for nearly half the price of any decent 2011 platform.

While it is an interesting idea, the closest apples to apples comparison would be the Staccato P-5 which has an MSRP of $2,000, not $3,000. Also STI 140 mm mags are $49.99 MSRP and and CZ P-09 mags are only in the low $40 range MSRP. While the idea seems interesting and before the Gen 2 follower they would have had a much larger market, the lack of Optics Ready model and the anemic savings make it far from a 2011 killer before anyone has put serious rounds on it.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
While it is an interesting idea, the closest apples to apples comparison would be the Staccato P-5 which has an MSRP of $2,000, not $3,000. Also STI 140 mm mags are $49.99 MSRP and and CZ P-09 mags are only in the low $40 range MSRP. While the idea seems interesting and before the Gen 2 follower they would have had a much larger market, the lack of Optics Ready model and the anemic savings make it far from a 2011 killer before anyone has put serious rounds on it.

Fair, but the Staccato P-5 is only available in 9mm. If someone wants to get into Limited division competition, they’ll (unfortunately) need something available in 40S&W, which the DWX is. That’s why I compared it to the DVC-L rather than the Staccato series.

I have to imagine an optics-ready version of both the fullsize and compact DWX aren’t far behind the introduction of the standard models. Talking with someone who was on the DWX design team on another forum, they stated that the introductory fullsize and compact DWX models are “just the beginning”

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Not to mention the benefits of the all-metal frame and grip and the (admittedly somewhat subjective) superior CZ75-ish ergonomics of the DWX

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I think what excites me most about these guns isn’t so much specifically the guns themselves, but the general concept of a company grafting a 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls onto a double-stack frame that uses magazines from another popular pistol that the company already makes.

Imagine S&W, Sig, hell even Glock designing similar all-metal pistols that use the 1911-style SAO hammer-fired trigger and controls, but feed from the double stack magazines from their popular striker-fired duty pistols. A double-stack 1911 that takes P320 mags would be absolutely irresistible to me

JLL2013

There are some distinct flaws in the Hudson analogy, I'll admit that. However, what I'm more getting at is that gun people lile new things but only to a point. "Does it take Glock mags?" is a punchline but the basic reality is that no one wants to invest in a platform that may go extinct.
You're Jim Bob USPSA shooter looking to get into limited. Do you go with a platform that's at least 30 years old or the latest thing that just hit shelves? I think DW/CZ needs to get these out and available and in the hands of winners ASAP. I also think they need to eye the duty gun market. Maybe not the best fit for this gun, but its good marketing.
Heck, I want one! I want one with a RDS cut. I just don't want to throw $3k* into it only to have the gun on Forgotten Weapons in a year.

*gun plus mags, support gear, optic mount, optic

JLL2013

There are some distinct flaws in the Hudson analogy, I'll admit that. However, what I'm more getting at is that gun people lile new things but only to a point. "Does it take Glock mags?" is a punchline but the basic reality is that no one wants to invest in a platform that may go extinct.
You're Jim Bob USPSA shooter looking to get into limited. Do you go with a platform that's at least 30 years old or the latest thing that just hit shelves? I think DW/CZ needs to get these out and available and in the hands of winners ASAP. I also think they need to eye the duty gun market. Maybe not the best fit for this gun, but its good marketing.
Heck, I want one! I want one with a RDS cut. I just don't want to throw $3k* into it only to have the gun on Forgotten Weapons in a year.

*gun plus mags, support gear, optic mount, optic

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
All valid points. There is quite a lot of immobility inertia in the firearms community (for some understandable reasons), which has frustrated me at times. The market is always wary of original or new ideas which means they’re slow to be accepted and popularized and often means some truly good ideas don’t get the opportunity to stay around long enough to mature and become widely adopted.

At least on the competition circuit shooters are a bit more willing to take chances on as-yet-unproven platforms and ideas because the consequences of something not working out are only losing a few points in a match, not the much more dire consequences if something doesn’t work in a defensive scenario. I think the DWX (and other unusual/original designs) has the best chance of succeeding by proving itself in the competition arena first, then being more widely accepted by non-competition shooters. But your point about making a significant investment in an unproven platform no matter what the intended role is certainly well taken.

That said, I’ll always be a cheerleader for any company willing to take a risk and step out of the “we can make a Glock 19 too” mindset that seems so pervasive these days

I really want to try one of these and I like what they are doing. I recently bought an STI Staccato P Duo after about a 15-year absence from 1911ish pistols and it’s a LOT easier to shoot well than my other pistols. I attribute it mostly to the trigger and I am intrigued to see how a 1911 trigger will work on another frame geometry. I like CZ pistols and I have 3 currently but I have no experience with Dan Wesson. I will wait to see if they offer one with a red dot plate or cuts. I bet the DWX will be big at SHOT.

MojoNixon

Established
I can't tell from the pictures, does the slide on the DW's ride on internal rails like the CZ-75 and Sig P-210?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I can't tell from the pictures, does the slide on the DW's ride on internal rails like the CZ-75 and Sig P-210?

Not as far as I can tell, slide rails are more traditionally 1911 style.

Point of order before anyone mentions bore axis - The infamous CZ low bore axis is actually more of an optical illusion than a reality;

D2F66BA4-AF17-46B4-8653-7834EAF13CF9.png

You’re just seeing less of the slide above the frame due to the internal rail system

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I honestly don’t understand why DW isn’t absolutely plastering the internet with photos, videos, and information about this thing in the run-up to SHOT. Someone needs to wake up their marketing department