Creating Environments for the Purpose of Individually Sustainable Food Production.

I'll start by saying I am by no means an expert, everything is based on my personal experience through trial and error as well as reading and learning from more experienced individuals and their mistakes on top of my own.
For the past few years I have been working to increase the level of " in house" food production at my parents suburban home, about 1/2 acre including the house. This work has been rewarding but it has come with challenges and pitfalls as I tried, applied and learned from failures and successes.
The work I will detail in individual posts will include;
Converting the front lawn to a fruit tree orchard and pollinator gardens,
Dividing up the backyard by creating "no-dig" raised bed garden for a variety of vegetables surrounded by what will grow into a natural fence of Blackberry bushes and Raspberry vines,
Building a poly tunnel or hoop house to prolong the growing season for a range of potted plants and raised beds that includes water storage and drip irrigation system for convenience and consistent watering,
Building a simple NFT system inside the house to grow vitamin rich greens and medicinal herbs year round as well as being able to produce healthy starts for the next planting season.

A goal for everyone should be to produce and safely preserve as much food for yourself as you can within your budget and time constraints. Obviously this will vary person to person but the benefits will be the same across the board.

Joe _K

Established
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

If you haven’t yet, check out the Jerusalem Artichoke.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

If you haven’t yet, check out the Jerusalem Artichoke.
"The best time to plant is when you have the shovel in your hand" Grampa Tripplett, an old farmer from one of the Dakota's. The key take away is don't put it off because the best time has past. The power is in the now. I know I will not see the full benefits of my planting the trees or the other native heirlooms, but other generations may.
I haven't seen that particular video although I am familiar with the Jerusalem Artichoke, and Artichoke. I tried to grow them both last season. They didn't seem to take in our particular soil, or that particular spot. That video may reveal something I don't know so thanks for sharing it.