cerakote companies are painting guns to look like the factory training glocks

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Matt Grösch
May 27 at 8:44am

Apparently some cerakote companies are painting guns to look like the factory training glocks.

I was was booted off the Glock Facebook page for pointing out what a bad idea this is

Unlike · Comment
  • You, Matt Stutzenburg, Andrew Moon, Chuck Haggard and 17 others like this.

• Lloyd Brahm
    The official Glock Facebook page? Where was this?
    May 27 at 8:45am · Like

• Matt Grösch
    Glock world I believe, the one with 21k members, and iirc one of the guys might be a member here
    May 27 at 8:45am · Like

• Matt Grösch
    Thread was deleted last night, "Glock world" I believe, I don't think it's official.
    May 27 at 8:48am · Like

• Chuck Haggard
    I have yet to see a Glock FB or other internets group that wasn't ate the fuck up with derp and retardery
    May 27 at 8:49am · Like · 22

• Alex Kogan
    Yesterday had a client pick up his new Sig. He showed up with dummy rounds that looked real. Well, they might be

They were a reloads w/o a primer. Primer part was painted red. He got it off the eBay. I did mention it to him that it was a bad idea

People do crazy things all the time
    May 27 at 8:58am · Like · 3

• Barry T Dallmann
    Glock fan boys being dumb? No way...
    May 27 at 9:03am · Like · 1

• Tucker Bloxham
    I kicked a hood rat out of my shop when he wanted the muzzle end of his high point painted orange.
    May 27 at 9:05am · Unlike · 15

• Matt Grösch
    I posted this pic of the training guns, blue and orange-red looked very similar, but the color was on the slide+parts, not lower frame

May 27 at 9:08am · Unlike · 3

• Chuck Haggard
    Whoever built or coated those guns is a fucking asshole that needs a flogging.
    May 27 at 9:41am · Like · 10

• Matt Grösch
    The above are the actual Glock training guns, here was one of the real guns, I didn't save a pic of the blue but it was similar.

May 27 at 9:48am · Like

• Matt Grösch
    Coral snake, King snake
    May 27 at 9:49am · Like · 2

• Tim Nelson
    Setting someone up for failure. How is that not obviously a bad idea?
    May 27 at 10:00am · Like · 3

• Tim Chandler
    That red one looks like a SIRT. The whole point of the SIRT having a red slide is so that it doesn't look like a real gun. This is stupid.
    May 27 at 10:06am · Like · 8

• Matt Grösch
    Pretty much my exact words,(both prior comments) for the business and buyer......... And most importantly, any cop potentially dealing with them.

This actually is an, unofficial, game changer, since businesses are intentionally disguising real guns to look like fake guns, police have to adjust accordingly
    May 27 at 10:07am · Edited · Like

• Tucker Bloxham
    Luckily training guns are fairly hard to get so LEO's should assume that anyone who presents a "training gun" is a real threat.
    May 27 at 10:08am · Like · 1

• Matt Grösch
    It jumped out at me because I was pricing both of those training guns earlier in the day, yesterday

More expensive than the real thing....
    May 27 at 10:10am · Like

• Lloyd Brahm
    cerakoting businesses have been painting guns to intentionally look fake for a while now though. Thanks to them, we as officers now have to think a gun that is shaped like a real one but painted Hello Kitty themed is real.
    May 27 at 10:20am · Like

• Joshua Jedidiah
    I don't see a problem with it. Which civilian buys Glock manufactured training guns? What Tucker said ^
    May 27 at 10:20am · Like

• Joshua Jedidiah
    How often have LEO'S seen cerakoted guns on the street?
    May 27 at 10:21am · Like · 1

• Lloyd Brahm
    I dunno. I've never seen one. But if someone points a gun at me that is bright green, but still shaped like a Glock, I need to assume it real
    May 27 at 10:22am · Like · 6

• Joshua Jedidiah
    Absolutely smile emoticon ^
    May 27 at 10:22am · Like

• Lloyd Brahm
    Haha that was my point. A gun painted an abnormal color isn't new.
    May 27 at 10:23am · Like · 1

• Kevin Reed
    When in doubt press the damned trigger... I've run into the exact same thing in Indy.
    May 27 at 10:34am · Like · 1

• Matt Grösch
    Glock and other professional companies go to great trouble to clearly differentiate real guns and training only guns.

If someone sees no problem painting real guns to look like training guns, they must think the entire training world is wrong to distinguish them
    May 27 at 10:39am · Like · 1

• Joshua Jedidiah
    Or they just want their guns to look cool in their favorite color
    May 27 at 10:40am · Like · 1

• Matt Grösch
    Of course you should react accordingly, but talk about potential training scars......

And potential accidents
    May 27 at 10:41am · Like · 3

• Joshua Jedidiah
    It behooves someone to think a gun is real if pointed at them, no matter what the color
    May 27 at 10:41am · Like · 2

• Matt Grösch
    They can think it looks cool, and be idiots
    May 27 at 10:42am · Like

• Joshua Jedidiah
    Training guns are difficult to get a hold of and quite useless to the civilian, and even then we would use a cheaper alternative like a fully plastic molded training gun
    May 27 at 10:43am · Like

• Tim Chandler
    I don't mind a custom paint job on a gun...but a custom paint job designed deliberately to mimic trainers is asking for trouble. Hello Kitty AR15? Sure. AR15 with the barrel painted to look like a Sims upper? Absolutely not.
    May 27 at 10:45am · Like · 2

• Joshua Jedidiah
    I think it's something Leo's and their departments have to address sooner or later because people will be doing them regardless -- however rare they may be out in the street
    May 27 at 10:47am · Like

• Matt Grösch
    I'm pretty confident in saying anyone knowledgeable (attorneys, police trainers, the top tier civilian trainers) would all agree that doing this is foolish. Given that, it's a stupid idea and asking for trouble, criminal/civil court
    May 27 at 10:47am · Like · 5

• Chris Clifton
    We've gotten safety bulletins about the potential for running into painted guns for a while now but I don't think anyone here has seen any other than airsoft guns with the orange paint missing
    May 27 at 10:48am · Like · 1

• Timothy Giblin
    I have a friend that teaches in texas that runs his class with a "blue" g17. He teaches a lot of LEOs and it makes them realize this is a real possiblity now. I have no issue with him having it at class to make a point. Holding "blue" gun yells "eyes and ears" they repeat he does a mag dump. Gets the point accross.
    May 27 at 10:49am · Like · 2

• Matt Grösch
    ^ exactly. The reality needs to be addressed, but it's still highly irresponsible to produce disguised guns. The people doing it can only be riff raff or idiots.
    May 27 at 10:56am · Like

• Timothy Giblin
    Pretty sure it only comes out in LEO classes i'll have to ask.
    May 27 at 10:57am · Like

• Kevin Reed
    Well, pointing a weapon at someone is "very aggressive" with the potential to do "grave bodily harm."

I'm not an LEO but I know that it will matter not to me if it's a sims pistol, SIRT pistol or a Sig pistol. The person intended for me to believe what he had was real to obtain the desired reaction he wanted to do what it was he intended.

There *ARE* no toy guns. Treat them ALL as if they were real - and teach your children, for God's sake and the sanity of your family.
    May 27 at 11:31am · Like · 2

• Jonathan Davis
    I was on that page for a little while. I ended up leaving because of the amazing concentration of derp.
    May 27 at 12:03pm · Like · 2

• Justin Sanders
    There was another cerakote thread that got way out of hand before. It'll eventually boil down to the fact that you can't control what people do with their money and their property. Stupid people with lots of money to blow will do stupid things and lots of the time it'll be for no other reason than aesthetics. Look at all the cars on the road that are completely stock and have a dumbass aftermarket spoiler on them.

I definitely agree with the mentality of "if somone points a gun at you, treat it as if it's real and act accordingly."
    May 27 at 12:18pm · Like · 1

• Michael Gary Spight
    Probably the same group of derpsters on the GlockTalk forum...
    May 27 at 12:36pm · Like · 2

• Dusty Crist
    I've been asked. I won't do it.
    May 27 at 1:00pm · Like · 2

• E. Alan Normandy

May 27 at 1:25pm · Like · 6

• Shane Fitch
    Thats almost as bad the the cerakote that makes your gun looked used
    May 27 at 6:55pm · Like · 3