Buying remanufactured bulk ammo?

KMo1205

My wife and I are starting to take more and more handgun training classes and I'm really eating away at my ammo stores. I've been considering buying ammo in bulk from a couple of remanufactured companies like Freedom Munitions or LAX. Is this stuff worth it for a class or should I suck it up and buy new at 30-40% more from a big manufacturer? My wife and I both shoot Glock 17/19 9mm, if that makes any difference.

JCSpringer

I've shot some freedom 9mm and 223 without any problems. But I've only shot maybe a thousand or so. It's cheap practice ammo

JPourciau

I pretty much exclusively use Freedom Munitions for training classes. I've had maybe 3-5 questionable rounds out of 3000 or so on the factory reloads. Anymore though, I usually buy their new manufacture ammo. Haven't had any problems and the price is right. I also take advantage of their brass credit program, which brings the price down.

Mick-boy

VIP
I've got a couple of cases of LAX ammo but I haven't gotten into it yet. From Freedom Munitions I've had good luck with their 115gr RN 9mm and terrible luck with their 124gr RN 9mm (rounds tumbling at 10m, marked loss of accuracy). I'll buy their 115gr all day long (5% off and $5 shipping on the same day.. don't mind if I do).

I've used their 115s in classes and training for the last 1.5 years with no issue.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
I won't use anybody's .223/5.56 reman, seen too many ARs blown up from factory reman. A lot of "once fired brass" is not, or has been run through a SAW, this leads to incipient case head separations that KaBoom the gun when that one last shot is fired in weakened brass.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Chuck, does this include Black Hills remanufactured ammo? They're fairly well regarded, but I'd rather not risk it over a couple jingly coins.

KMo1205

I've shot around 500 rounds of Freedom Munition's .223 55 grain FMJ new brass without any failures. I took a two day pistol class with my wife and used around 1600 rounds of 115 gr. new 9mm and got around 6 light primer strike/ misfires. It wasn't a big deal for the class as we were practicing malfunctions, but wouldn't want to use it for a competition. Another couple at the class were using 124 gr. reman brass and had around 30 rounds where the round was pushed in too far. I have used their brass buyback program and it really helps to bring the price down, but I don't mind paying a little more for the new stuff.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Last year I shot about 6-7k 9mm reman from Freedom Munitions and experienced a handful of ammo failures. Pretty much the smae rate of failure as Wichester White Box, Remington UMC, PMC etc. This year to date I've shot about 4-5k round swith the same experience a few failures here and there. Last year I saw other folks put about 10-12k rounds of Freedom down range and this year to date about 7-8k rounds. Same rate of failure that I experienced. A few bad rounds here and there.

At a class I took several months ago one of the guys had problems with Freedom in his M&P9c that had all sorts of slide work, and other stuff done to it. (lots of FTFs ) About 1/3 of the way through the class I switched ammo with him. He shot my ammo (freedom) and continued to have a few problems. I ran his ammo (about 700 rounds) through the rest of the class without a single issue in my G17 gen 3.

For pistols all I buy is Freedom. I run it through my G17 and 19 and my wife uses it in her M&P9c and Shield. I don't have any experince with their .223/5.56 ammo ( I usually just use Federal or American Eagle.)

For practice and training I think the 115gr reman is an excellent choice. It's cheap and it works.

YMMV

Ike

regdudedrtyjob

I've got a couple of cases of LAX ammo but I haven't gotten into it yet. From Freedom Munitions I've had good luck with their 115gr RN 9mm and terrible luck with their 124gr RN 9mm (rounds tumbling at 10m, marked loss of accuracy). I'll buy their 115gr all day long (5% off and $5 shipping on the same day.. don't mind if I do).

I've used their 115s in classes and training for the last 1.5 years with no issue.
Dang, of course I read this after 1500 124 gr. RN arrives. Oh well, we'll see how the VP9 likes them.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
To add to the point, talked to a friend yesterday about his agency having a Glock 22 blown up by reman .40 ammo. .40 is another caliber that I wouldn't buy reloads/reman ammo for my guns.

Reactions: BKS

Default.mp3

Established
Through my P30LS, I have used:

Freedom Munitions 115 gr. RN (reman): 3000
Freedom Munitions 115 gr. RN Blaster (reman with cosmetic blemish): 999
Freedom Munitions 115 gr. RN New: 2573

I've had about 5 or 6 stovepipes with the standard reman, according to my records. I've probably seen 2 or 3 noticeably fucked up rounds that would not chamber properly.

Random fact: the price of Freedom Munitions in their brick & mortar store is not the same as on their website. It's usually more expensive, IME, before you even throw in sales tax.

tinman

Does anyone have any more feedback on freedom ammo. I know a few guns blew up recently using this brand.

KMo1205

Does anyone have any more feedback on freedom ammo. I know a few guns blew up recently using this brand.
Haven't heard about that. I use their new manufactured ammo and haven't had any problems, just a couple of duds.

regdudedrtyjob

I have 1500 rounds of their 124 GR RN new manufacture ammo. So far I have put 450 rounds of it through my VP9, no problems. If I remember right the problems were with the remanufactured stuff, but I'll update if I have any malfs.