Buying my first suppressor.

DavidMS

Amateur
I've mostly overcome a bad case of decision paralysis on buying my first suppressor. I've already setup a trust (over a year ago) and want to put the can on a Ruger PC Carbine and possibly other 9mm PCCs in the future. My goals are to have a quality can that has been on the market for at least a few years so there are no major problems with it that is non-modular (a simpler product) and reasonably affordable. I am thinking of getting a SilencerCo Omega 9k. My only concern is that the gun is straight blow back so higher back pressure equals higher bolt velocities. Is this an issue? Are there better choices given my concern?

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I own an Omega 9k, and have had almost since it was initially released. I would suggest you take a look at the pew science data on 9mm silencers. He doesn't have quite the data set on 9mm compared to 5.56, but it is still very informative, and would help you to identify features on a silencer that you might want to look for or stay away from. As a lefty and someone who uses blowback 9mm rifles, the backpressure is a real concern, in fact I ended up working a load up for 9mm specifically to deal with the debris and gas coming out of the ejection port to make shooting more enjoyable. I've since gone to the CMMG radial system on my primary practice rifle.

If you have specific questions about the 9k I'm happy to answer them. I would also take a look at the HUXWRX and Otter Creek offerings. There are also others out there like the wolfman with the added modularity if that's something you want.