Building a P365XL

DavidMS

Amateur
I just finished the transfer on a P365 FCU. Before I go out and buy the parts to build the gun as an P365XL, any suggestions on things to consider when building the gun? This will be my first gun with an RDS. Thanks!

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I assembled a few 320s from FCUs. Having a couple different sized grip modules was nice to have to inexpensively fine tune the gun for the task.

jBravo3

Hopefully this doesn't come across as dismissive or snarky, but since you're asking for opinions, and without knowing user and use case specifics - I'd genuinely recommend looking at a Macro frame/grip module instead of an XL - if you plan on shooting it as much as carrying it.

I regularly carried and shot an XL for a couple of years, but the Macro is just so much more enjoyable to shoot and manipulate than the smaller XL. The XL is not bad at all, but I think the Macro brings a lot more to the table for just slightly more weight and size. I think they both conceal about the same, but if Safariland made a worthy holster for it, I'd have no qualms carrying the Macro in uniform as a duty gun. I certainly can't say that for the smaller module.

I recently sold the XL grip modules I owned and all the XL mags and holsters and I'm all in on the Macro now. If I need something smaller I have other more preferable (to me) options.

Either way, I guess for starters, I'd recommend an extended slide stop/catch/release - that one piece takes a little hassle out of general manipulation for me and streamlines things. If you do go the XL route and you're willing to pay for it, the Boresite Razorback mod is pretty awesome. Otherwise, I'd steer clear of the cheaper Sig red dots marketed/produced for the 365 series and spend a bit more on an optic. OEM Sig parts are great for everything else as you piece it together though.

DavidMS

Amateur
Hopefully this doesn't come across as dismissive or snarky, but since you're asking for opinions, and without knowing user and use case specifics - I'd genuinely recommend looking at a Macro frame/grip module instead of an XL - if you plan on shooting it as much as carrying it.

I regularly carried and shot an XL for a couple of years, but the Macro is just so much more enjoyable to shoot and manipulate than the smaller XL. The XL is not bad at all, but I think the Macro brings a lot more to the table for just slightly more weight and size. I think they both conceal about the same, but if Safariland made a worthy holster for it, I'd have no qualms carrying the Macro in uniform as a duty gun. I certainly can't say that for the smaller module.

I recently sold the XL grip modules I owned and all the XL mags and holsters and I'm all in on the Macro now. If I need something smaller I have other more preferable (to me) options.

Either way, I guess for starters, I'd recommend an extended slide stop/catch/release - that one piece takes a little hassle out of general manipulation for me and streamlines things. If you do go the XL route and you're willing to pay for it, the Boresite Razorback mod is pretty awesome. Otherwise, I'd steer clear of the cheaper Sig red dots marketed/produced for the 365 series and spend a bit more on an optic. OEM Sig parts are great for everything else as you piece it together though.
Asking how I will use it is absolutely legitimate. I've had a carry license for ~5 years (just submitted my renewal) but have not carried both because I haven't had a firearm that was suitable for concealed carry and I have not felt my skills were even close to where they need to be to carry until recently. I've shot other people's P365XLs. Its a bit snappy but I like the guns I've shot.

I plan to put a quality RDS on it. I will also experiment with slightly extended base plates to get a better grip. Thank you for suggesting the Boresight Razorback and a extended slide stop.