Beyond Clothing A9A Mission Pants

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
This is a review of the A9A Mission Pants from Beyond Clothing. If you haven’t heard of Beyond, they are a Seattle company that has been making outstanding outdoor clothing since 1996. Their tagline “Stitched in the states” say a lot about their company, everything is made and sewn in the USA. The location of the company in the Pacific NW says a lot about their outdoor background, everything from impressive rain forests, to mountainous terrain and desert is present in Washington State, as such they have a broad understanding of what outdoor enthusiasts need to stay warm, dry and survive in harsh climates. The have now taken their excellent clothing and with the same eye toward the fighting man, behold the “Mission Line” of gear.

http://www.beyondclothing.com/collections/mission.html?___SID=U

Your first glance at their line probably went straight to the price. As a kid who grew up wearing hand-me-down Tuffskins, I get it. It is important to note that they do offer a Pro program and once you are signed up they offer generous discounts. So if you are purchasing off a team budget or personal funds, the savings is pretty good. I purchased a pair of the A9A’s out of my training company account and they were worth every penny. Their prices are consistent with other high end manufacturers, two manufacturers in particular that start with an “A” and the other with a “C”. Both of those companies have been the gold standard for high end clothing for the SWAT cop and Warfighter. Beyond is going to give them a run for their money.

On to the pants. At first glance they are very similar to the “C” pants. Without question the quality of materials, sewing and attention to detail is very similar. As a comparison, if you already wear the “C” pants, these fit and feel almost identical to the G3 line. Main material is a 50/50 NYCO blend, no surprise there. The front pockets and stretch crotch are a Cordura nylon for additional strength and durability. The waist band is thicker, a little padded and sports an internal belt system. I hung a paddle holster with my G34 on it and wore it for a few hours. No problem supporting the weight.

The front pockets are built robustly enough that a pocket clip knife will have trouble tearing the material. The zipper fly pulls in both directions, bottom up and top down. You might think this is overkill, but the bottom up is awesome for Gatorade bottle operations when you get stuck on a UC cover, long barricade or vehicle takedown waiting for bad guys to get with the program. Obviously zip top down if you just wanna get naked or for #2. The cargo pockets have both Velcro and button closures.

I wore them for two days in the office and two days of training, the training was focused on Covert clears with NVG’s and Hostage Rescue in a large structure where covert techniques were used to get closer to the crisis site. I had previously cut two strips of Velcro to cover the fluffy side for the cargo pockets. Slap those in place and use the buttons to close the pocket if you need to. Want the Velcro? No sweat, just pull the Velcro strip off and leave it in the pocket until you need it. Rear pockets are zipper pulls so they are quiet, all the zippers are excellent YKK brand. Front thigh pockets easily fit a can of Copenhagen or for small, birdlike men and ladies, Skoal Peppermint pouches.

The Cordura nylon crotch is stretchy while going to kneeling and acts like a sweet “Junk Hammock”. The material has the same IR signature, (meaning none) as other pants in this category. The pants come with “Universal” knee pad pockets. Beyond does not offer their own knee pads, however “C” pads and knock offs do fit. The bottom of the knee pad enclosure has a full Velcro seam and the seam has to be opened for the pads to fit without trimming. I did not trim the pads, I let the bottom hang out and did not have issues with the pads moving or coming out. It would be nice if Beyond offered a knee pad so you could one stop shop off their website.

On the back of the knees there is two Velcro tabs to adjust the knee pads at the right spot. The ankles also have Velcro for a loose or tight fit at the boot. Obligatory calf pockets are sewn on both sides. In the flap of the left pocket there is a hidden “stash” pocket that would be very hard to find if you didn’t know it was there. It is small but easily fits a handcuff key, a CR2032 battery for your T-1, a tootsie roll or a rolled up $20. I tried to get two CR123 batteries in there but it is just a tad too small.

Overall I am impressed with the A9A pants. While purchasing I contacted them directly and talked with one of the employees. She was very friendly and helpful and I ended up emailing her several times with questions for the review. Her answers were always prompt and she clearly had knowledge of the product. Last, the pants were actually in stock and I had them delivered to my door in just a few days after ordering.

They will be adding colors to the line very soon to include Cop black and Ranger Green. If you are balking at the price, I would only say, save your pennies and try a pair. The difference between how these pants fit, quality of material, Made in USA, and the customer service is worth every dime. Buy once, cry once. You already do it with guns, ammo, first and second line gear. Your clothing should be at the same level for mission accomplishment.

I have not tried any of the other Mission line clothing but I will as soon as possible. If you would like a 5”X8” glossy of me wearing the pants, please let me know.

AMK

Bill, Nice write up. Not wanting to derail your thread about the pants, I will quickly give my +1 to Beyond. While I cannot speak to their mission line, I do have a number of base and mid-layers. As well as a few t-shirts and their beanie from their outdoor lineup -- these are all excellent. The fit and finish are all very good. I have talked with customer service twice and have finished those conversations vowing to buy more from them for being so rad. Finally, while adding to their mission lineup, I have been told they are adding new stuff to the outdoor line as well, sometime this summer. They will also be working on more correct sizing for those of us who are not mountain climbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk