Best Valued non-DI SBR?

North

Amateur
My experience with suppression on piston AR's was back when they were having significant problems. Now, I don't really know what I should choose. Building your own is only cheaper depending on the current sales of AR's. I would love to build one... but I have no preference. Who makes the best valued piston SBR today?

To make it interesting, I would like to hear the best valued 300 Blackout as well, if anyone has something to say about it.

Default.mp3

Established
In the AR platform, the main brands that have a factory op rod piston SBR that I can think of are:
  • H&K
  • LWRC
  • PWS
  • Adams Arms
  • LMT MRP series
  • Colt P0923 and SCW0921P
  • SIG516
I have had about about 890 rounds through my PWS MK110 Mod 1 upper (using the a lower with the Vltor A5 system), most of those suppressed with a Surefire SOCOM556-RC. No issues thus far, besides some user induced malfunctions (forgetting to change the gas block from the suppressed setting to unsuppressed after taking off the suppressor). Most reviews have been positive, and the long stroke design supposedly is more balanced than the typical short stroke ARs. It's a fair bit cheaper and lighter than LWRC (PWS recently had a price bump in MSRP, but you can still find them for good prices online), comes with Keymod rails, and has an adjustable gas block (4 position; in theory, it can be changed with just a bullet, but I prefer using the supplied tool or a screwdriver or whatever, as the bullet doesn't have enough leverage, IMO).

The caveat to all this is that I have very little long arm experience, as I have had only 8 hours of formal training (CSAT), versus over 100 hours in handgunning. I picked PWS based on the strength of it's paper specs (a piston was desirable because it was going to be a suppressed shorty) and the mostly positive feedback from various forums. It's done well so far, but obviously 890 rounds is pretty damn minimal.

rob_s

For a second I thought this was the snakeoil thread... J

Is this an intellectual pursuit, or do you have some particular application that has you questing after unicorns?

JRLym

PWS is the best value in my opinion. They were horribly underpriced the last few years and they finally caught up to the market. The quality is great while including features like the keymod, adjustable gas block and their FSC muzzle device. I have a large number of hosts and the pws long stroke piston system is consistently quieter when suppressed than DI and other piston systems so thats a bonus as well. Been running both mod 0 and Mod 1 rifles for about 5 years now. the only problem I have ran into is the MK2 rifles in .308 don't like to run suppressed without several adjustments to the gas block and buffer weight. I drop in st-2 buffers and Geissele triggers in all my rifles and they run great.