Beretta 92-esque Carry Pistol

I'm a student of the Beretta 92 manual of arms; double/single action with a slide mounted decocker/safety. I've logged many hours and rounds and a few classes on the platform and really enjoy it for its safety, reliability and accuracy. I'd like to carry a firearm to which that experience would translate, but it needs to be small enough to remain hidden all day in front of groups of eyes that are more often than not focused on my person. Closest thing I can come up with at the moment is the Walther PP family of firearms.

Any real-world experience from people who have carried a firearm with this or a similar operating system? Any recommendations on models, holsters, carry methods? I know the prevailing internet wisdom is to get a P365 but I'm not on P&S for group think. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

I carried Smith & Wesson metal framed autos at work for a good number of years, all traditional double action with slide mounted decockers, and then metal framed Sig P series guns. My ten cents worth of opinion on the Walther PP family is that they are not good carry guns as they have something of a reputation for sharp edges and not running reliably. If you wanted to go with a .380 the Beretta 80 and 85 would be good options.

If the decocker is a must have and 9mm is desirable the S&W TDA guns all have the same manual of arms as the Beretta 92 series. A favored carry of mine for several years was the Model 6906. Alloy frame, stainless slide, 3 1/4 inch barrel, 12 rounds in the double stacked mag. If something more trim is desired, the Model 3906 is a single stack and a bit easier for deeper concealment.

After I made the move to Sig guns, the P239 in 9mm became my favored carry for plain clothes and off duty over the final years of my career. I've been carrying it again frequently the last year or so in my retired life, when I want something more than a revolver and when an M&P Compact is too much bulk for decent concealment in light clothing. Also a traditional double action it is a single stack with the decocker on the frame behind the trigger guard. The bore axis on the Sig is slightly lower than the S&W and the reach to the trigger on the Sig is slightly shorter depending on hand size.

I carry either of these inside the waistband in kydex holsters just forward of the hip and they conceal well under a heavy t-shirt or a polo shirt for me. I shoot them both pretty well. A JIT or Avenger style holster for outside the waistband works very well under a light jacket or heavy coat for cooler months. The downside of these guns is that they are no longer manufactured, magazines can be hard to find and spendy when you can find them, but guns are out there and can be found at reasonable prices.

Attachments

• SW Model 6906.jpg
    SW Model 6906.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 3
  • SiGp239 left.JPG
    SiGp239 left.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Sig P239 target.jpg
    Sig P239 target.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 3
For slide mounted decker and safety in a traditional double action pistol the options are a little slim, especially for current production. Would you consider a pistol with just a decocker or the controls being on the frame/back of slide?

Beju

The P239 that TheBigDog65 mentioned is probably the slimmest option that was recently in production and of good quality.
Next closest thing I can think of is the CZ 75D PCR Compact. It's basically between the P239 and a 92 Compact in size and weight, though slightly shorter in height than either one of those.
It's in current production, and can be found new for $6-700, though they've been lower in the past. Magazines were pretty reasonably priced (Mec-Gar makes the OE mags and sells Mec-Gar branded mags), but they don't seem to have shipped any batches here lately, as they're currently out of stock at most places.

Thank you for the information, gents. Absolutely not married to a slide mounted decocker, mostly just a good reliable DA/SA or even a DAO. I'm very intrigued by the options presented so far, though I'm not surprised that they are for the most part discontinued due to current market trends.

The 239 is particularly intriguing. I had a P250 SC that I dearly wish had been reliable.

H&K, Beretta, CZ, and Sig would be the main players in the DA/SA world. As far as I'm aware nobody is doing a slim single stack currently. The first company to come with an DA/SA offering in the Sig P365 or variants size class will get a lot of attention from me.

MOT

There’s some older/other caliber guns in that sorta category. PPKs and makarovs. Not saying I’d go there but they exist. There’s also the Kahr pistols that are dao and rather slim. Closest thing that seems like it would match up is an older 3rd gen smith that’s single stack.

Landric

The S&W 3913 (DA/SA, slide mounted decocker) or the 3953 (DAO slickslide) are what you seek. They have been out of production for a while, but Smith made a bunch, so the 3913 in particular is still pretty easy to find. Single stack, 9mm, 8+1, and very similar to the Beretta in operation (though not as slick as the usual 92). The gun below is a 3913NL that only has the decocker on the left side of the slide and a slanted, rather than straight, dust cover. I got this one on Gunbroker, in excellent condition, for under $500 shipped.

3913NL.jpg