Basic "load out" for low speed civ

A few years ago an associate of mine was on the phone with his wife as she was at the grocery store. During their phonecall a man came in and started shooting the windows out and at the ceiling, unbeknownst to anyone at the time he was going for a suicide by cop. This associate happened to be a couple blocks away and was able to get to the grocery store before any first responders and he went in for his wife. He had a vest and some gear in his vehicle he could grab but in the moment he just grabbed an extra magazine from his center counsel and went in.

Everything turned out fine, the shooter got tackled and cuffed and nobody was injured, but we sat down and tried to learn some valuable lessons from the event. Most notably was how even with better options at my associate's disposal, in the moment, the time to deploy those options wasn't worth it to him. I have no valuable experience into what gear is worthwhile but I do recommend you take some serious consideration to the time to deploy your gear in the situations you envision needing them.

No MIL or LEO, just a civilian looking for a light setup. Looking at feedback on these and what would you add?

You may want to start by defining your mission first, then add or subtract whatever you don't need with something that will be useful for the defined role. Once you have a clearer understanding of what the gear was designed for and why/ how that piece of gear would it be applicable to your use case, you will have a more rounded answer. And from there, be able to ask more specific questions and continue to refine through trail and testing. Personally I have found this type of understanding much more valuable than a black/ white, yes/no answer.

Joe _K

Established
No MIL or LEO, just a civilian looking for a light setup. Looking at feedback on these and what would you add?

Look at the content being put out by Dirty Civilian, Garand Thumb, and T.Rex Arms and others pertaining to chest rigs.

Every willing, able bodied American should be able to turn out and fulfill their civil duties as a member of the Militia, be that Organized, or unorganized. Unfortunately the Dick Act of 1903, (Yes, that’s actually what it’s called) puts most American Military Aged Males, (17 to 65 years of age per that particular Act of Congress), in the latter category and therefore there is little to no standardization of arms or equipment.

Read through all the previous militia acts and you will see a couple patterns. Counties and States lost most of their Feudal Powers, with the Federal Government replacing those smaller governments for the Citizens loyalty.
The increasing egalitarianism and inclusiveness of the United States, and the recognition that the Citizen Soldiers aka the Militia needed standards for arms and equipment.

If I could snap my fingers, every Male age 15-85 would have the same exact individual fighting equipment that is issued to a Private - Sergeant in the 75th Ranger Regiment or, as close an approximation as could be reasonably afforded by each individual.

But, because some guy named Dick wanted a piece of legislation named for him, and due to the whole hard times/good Men/easy times/weak Men cycle, American Men contracted out their duties and outsourced their maximum potential to inflict violence on evil to a standing Army, which resulted in America participating in some of the most unnecessary Wars ever fought.

Be ready, and be the reason Tyrants cannot carry out to fruition the dark plans they would like to, or at least to the degree they would like to, or at the speed they would like to. For now we are fighting a delaying action for it remains to be seen who will tire first.

Ok, end of Rant.

Chest Rigs are sort of like belts, buy the ones that fit you, the way you work and the job(s) you perform. But definitely have at least one. The ones you listed will both likely serve you, or someone else well in a variety of roles.

Generally Chest Rigs can be divided into two broad categories, Split Front and Closed. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Split Front:
BFG Ten Speed SF Chest Rig
Beez Combat Systems AR Chest Rig Split Front 6 Mag.
Eagle Industries Split Front SOFLCS
Velocity Systems/Mayflower UW Gen V Split-Front Chest Rig

Closed Front:
Unubtanium Gear LV-X Chest Rig
TREX Quad Flap Chest Rig
Onward Research Recce Rig
Arbor Arms Link Chest Rig
Beez Combat System AR RECON Chest Rig

Or, build your own out of USGI surplus pouches, webbing and ITW Buckles.

My purpose is pretty much that, a minuteman rig for general purpose. Mostly training and range use, something practical and lightweight. I'm already pretty clear on the use, just looking for opinions pros and cons of those particular setups, or a new idea. Appreciate the feedback

Joe _K

Established
My purpose is pretty much that, a minuteman rig for general purpose. Mostly training and range use, something practical and lightweight. I'm already pretty clear on the use, just looking for opinions pros and cons of those particular setups, or a new idea. Appreciate the feedback
From a comfort perspective, the SADF rig will not be as comfortable as the BFG. “H” Harnesses beat “X” Harnesses every time in that regard.

I personally would not recommend either option, but if I had to pick I’d go with the BFG Ten Speed.

My recommendation is find a rig that carries at least 3 Primary mags, then whatever else you want to carry accessible on your person that you’d rather not carry elsewhere.

For me, I want a split front chest rig with an H harness that easily carries 4 Primary Mags, 1-2 Secondary mags, 1-2 quarts of water, comms, monocular, multitool, fixed blade knife, sharpener, map and compass, 2x tourniquets, blowout kit, boo-boo kit, batteries, headlamp, bic lighter, duct tape, cordage, sharpie, pen, note book, gloves, balaclava, cough drops, wet wipes, chapstick, and a little bit of room to spare for extra items.

From a comfort perspective, the SADF rig will not be as comfortable as the BFG. “H” Harnesses beat “X” Harnesses every time in that regard.

I personally would not recommend either option, but if I had to pick I’d go with the BFG Ten Speed.

My recommendation is find a rig that carries at least 3 Primary mags, then whatever else you want to carry accessible on your person that you’d rather not carry elsewhere.

For me, I want a split front chest rig with an H harness that easily carries 4 Primary Mags, 1-2 Secondary mags, 1-2 quarts of water, comms, monocular, multitool, fixed blade knife, sharpener, map and compass, 2x tourniquets, blowout kit, boo-boo kit, batteries, headlamp, bic lighter, duct tape, cordage, sharpie, pen, note book, gloves, balaclava, cough drops, wet wipes, chapstick, and a little bit of room to spare for extra items.
This is a very good response. As a civilian, I don't have much experience wearing rigs all day, but I have found the "H" harness's much more comfortable than "X" when worn for longer periods. If it's not comfortable it's less likely to be used. And the incidental items you mentioned are easily overlooked, but are usually worth their weight and space to carry them.

Brock01

The BFG Ten Speed is a very good option. Throw a small ifak and a general purpose pouch on their and youare good to go. The X-harness may not be AS comfortable, but IME the Ten Speed rig is so light weight it really doesn't even matter. It will also compact down pretty low into a bag compared to the SADF rig.

Joe _K

Established
The BFG Ten Speed is a very good option. Throw a small ifak and a general purpose pouch on their and youare good to go. The X-harness may not be AS comfortable, but IME the Ten Speed rig is so light weight it really doesn't even matter. It will also compact down pretty low into a bag compared to the SADF rig.
Just to clarify, the Ten Speed mentioned by the OP has an H-Harness.

You may want to start by defining your mission first, then add or subtract whatever you don't need with something that will be useful for the defined role. Once you have a clearer understanding of what the gear was designed for and why/ how that piece of gear would it be applicable to your use case, you will have a more rounded answer. And from there, be able to ask more specific questions and continue to refine through trail and testing. Personally I have found this type of understanding much more valuable than a black/ white, yes/no answer.
This is a position that a lot of people fail to take into consideration. How you expect to employ your gear will do a lot more to frame things than just looking at what is good/better/best, what various influencers say is good, or what guys used down range. Sure, that can inform you on the quality of a piece of gear, which is important, but it may not be the right choice for you. If you think you're gonna be humping around in the woods for extended periods of time, that's different than something to stow a few extra mags for competition/class, or that you're gonna be sitting on a roof doing overwatch, pulling out of a vehicle for active shooter response, etc.

There's also a point where you start hitting diminishing returns and may want to look at multiple pieces of equipment. Maybe some stuff from your chest rig would be better suited to a belt, or maybe a ruck on your back. Gear like this isn't my big focus, but for the past few years I've seen a resurgence in the popularity of gear like the old ALICE kits where you have more admin/general purpose pouches for things other than ammunition. The SADF is sorta like that, though there are some other more modern options whose names evade me right now.

For a sort of "modern minuteman" loadout, you're probably wanting something that can sustain you more than a small chest rig. Some more detail on what that terminology means to you can help people give more specific feedback. Different environments, tasks you expect to fulfill, etc will drive the gear. While "Modern Minuteman" is a term thrown around a lot, we all have different opinions of what that should look like.

I’m a big fan of chest rigs for a simple grab and go option. I have about ten Chinese type 63 chest rigs staged with loaded ar mags in the main pouches and medical gear and ear ear plugs in the smaller pouches. I have several other more modern designs as well. Perfect for emergencies, but mostly just easy to grab for a quick outing to go plink, shoot small game, or attend a local carbine match. Because chest rigs are so cheap and I have so many it’s also easy to grab a spare rifle for a buddy and head out within a minute of deciding we want to go shooting. I also have a couple I keep in my truck, in my closet, etc.

Joe _K

Established
My recommendation is:

Go to your favorite military surplus shop or online store and pick up some Eagle Industries gear.
Buy:
2-4 double mag pouches
2 canteen pouches
2 GP Pouches
1-2 Triple Mag Shingles
2 Pistol Mag Or Grenade Pouches.
A pack of U.S. Made 550 cord.
A few yards of 1” Mil-Spec webbing.
2-6 1” ITW G-Hooks
10+ 1” Fastex Buckles Male and Female Sets Field Repair and standard with built in Tri-Glide portion.
10+ 1” Tri-Glides

Then either build or buy a chest rig harness.

You can easily tie and MOLLE together all the above into a decent chest rig and after you find what you need and like can decide what to do from there. And you will have a bunch of pouches you can use on other future projects.