Ballistics question for LEO agency suppressed SBR gas guns

rbhaxton72

My agency is going from 55 grain HST ammo to the 64 grain HST TRU .223 duty ammo. I have a question regarding ballistics for the 64 grain Federal TRU through 10.5 or 11.5 SBR direct impingement suppressed. My question is are there notable effects in terms of trajectory, penetration and bullet expansion as a result of running these guns suppressed? Also, is there a degradation of penetration through barriers in terms of terminal ballistics? Am just curious as am wanting to know capabilities of this new duty ammunition. Any help from the rest of you gun nerds is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
It’s not bonded so it’s going to suck almost equally when dealing with barriers.

There will be a slight trajectory difference but not major until you start shooting at distance.

We went from the 55gr to the 62 Bonded. That’s where you should be looking.

DPapale

Amateur
The effect of adding a suppressor on velocity is really pretty negligable when chrono'd. 62 gr Gold Dots averaged an 11 fps gain out of a 10.5" with an m2000 when i suppressed all our department guns. Far far less than adding or subtracting an inch or two of barrel length. With that in mind it would be miraculous if that deviation was enough to push a round outside of its performance window of velocity. If you're shooting it out of a 10.5 or 11.5 inch gun its definitely not going to overdrive the round as you'll still be no where near the performance of say a 14.5" gun unsuppressed.

I believe the Gold Dots were designed to work at lower velocities, I would think the HST would as well. I run the GD in my 10.5-16" guns.