Ares gear belts. Opinions wanted

yamaha450

What is the general consensus on the enhanced belts? Can a belt ever be too stiff? Also I'm leaning toward aegis, any reason to go with the ranger?
TIA

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have both. They are both excellent. I have been using the Aegis more often recently. I think I have 6-7 Ares belts. All enhanced... I think.

Default.mp3

Established
I have an Ares Ranger Belt that I no longer use as it was too thick and stiff. It would end up cutting into me, and would print a fair bit; I went back to my Wilderness 5 Stitch Ti. For IWB carry, I like a bit of give.

yamaha450

I should have added for clarification that I currently have an SOE belt, so I am familiar with dual scuba webbed belts. Just in the market for another and do not wish to pad the pockets of someone who treats his customers so poorly.

rob_s

IMO, yes, a belt can be too stiff, and for me almost all of the scuba-webbing belts fall into that category. What I want is vertical stiffness and longitudinal flexibility, and nobody matches The Wilderness in that department. I just wish they had other buckle offerings.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I'm probably biased, so I'll (mostly) stay out of this conversation.

I do want to point something out quickly; while other brands use publicly-available webbing (usually from China), we pay a little more for a stiffer, US-made webbing. Inch for inch, our webbing is the stiffest. Please don't think you know what an Ares Gear belt feels like if you haven't tried an Ares Gear belt; there are differences of which you may not be aware.

...and I'm out.

- Jake

yamaha450

Jake,
Thanks for commenting, I have no doubt Ares gear belts are top notch.

The question I keep asking myself is how much of a difference in overall stiffness is the standard to the enhanced versions.

TomF

I've used Jake's belts for years and consider him a friend.

I like the Aegis for dedicated range days, but for my day-to-day roaming around my favorite is the Ranger (non-enhanced). It might be just because it's what I'm used to and nicely broken in, but I find it a bit more comfortable.

For hanging a heavy gun and rifle mags on my belt all day, the Aegis works wonderfully.

Belts are like holsters, everyone has different opinions on comfort, so you may just need to try one out and go from there.

Cross

As a caveat, I consider Jake a friend, so consider my opinion slightly biased. If I'm hanging a gun on it, there's ALMOST no such thing as too stiff. It's not necessarily a comfort or support thing, but a performance issue. My draws are smoother and measurably faster with an Aegis or Enhanced Ranger than with any of the old riggers belts I used to use. I wear an Ares LE Duty Belt for competition and training, and that setup is another few tenths faster than the other two. A rigid belt creates a solid platform/chassis to work from- the stiff belts don't bend or give when drawing the weapon or pulling mags out for a reload. That alone makes them more than worth it, even if they take a few seconds longer to out on in the morning. That it could double as a weapon of opportunity is just icing...

WayneF

I have been wearing Ares belts almost daily since 2010 after trying various leather and then Wilderness and 5.11 belts. I failed to find anything that was as stable and comfortable as his Ranger belt. Then in July of 2013 he came up for a class and brought along some pre-production Aegis belts. I find it to be more comfortable than the Ranger and blends in with everything from jeans to suits. I have not worn another belt other my two Aegis' since that day.

N

nate89

I don't own an Ares belt (yet), but I borrowed an aegis from a friend for about a month and wore it every day. I carried a 19 appendix, 226 strong side with two mags on the other side, and several other configurations just to try it out. I was very impressed, and I will be getting one for myself.

weaver1032

I literally wear an Ares Gear belt every single day. I have an LE Duty Belt that I wear on duty with my work kit. For off duty, I have an Aegis Enhanced that I wear daily. I wear the Aegis Enhanced with everything in my wardrobe and it looks good. It carries a G26 or G17 and reloads daily. I have tried 5.11, Blackhawk, Wilderness, and a handful of other belts over the years and nothing wears as comfortably and durably as my Aegis Enhanced.

Having said that, I am saving up for a Mean Gene Leather belt to complement it...NOT replace it.